Campus Celebrity: Juan Lopez Barcelo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

When you first meet Juan, he comes across as the happiest man alive. His charming charisma and gentlemanly ways easily trick you into thinking he is the most laid-back guy on campus. In some ways you’d be right — Juan is an international student from Madrid, studying for his masters and appears to be partying his way through life. However, if his past internship at Trillo nuclear power plant in Guadalajara, Madrid or his study abroad year in Hong Kong are anything to go by, you can easily see that Juan is a clever guy who takes life by the horns and seizes every opportunity possible.

HC: So Juan, tell me a little about your college life in Madrid and why you decided to study abroad here at U of I.

Back home in Madrid, I attend the ICAI School of Engineering at Comillas Pontifical University, where I am studying Mechanical Engineering. In my first year at the university, I was elected Student Vice President and also stood as Student President in the two consecutive years after that. As well as representing the student body and pressing for our voices to be heard, for example rallying over the Bologna Plan, which resulted in an all-out strike by Spanish universities, I was also responsible for planning a university-wide trip to the Dominican Republic. That vacation was definitely the biggest perk of the job.

Having spent over a month in Champaign while studying during the summer of my freshman year back in 2008, I decided I had to return to the bright lights of this magical little town and so I applied to study for a full year.

HC: How did your year abroad in Hong Kong materialize?

Although I had every intention of returning to Champaign for my senior year, a last minute opportunity was offered to me to study in Hong Kong with the condition that I could still return to U of I for my fifth year of study. After a snap decision, Hong Kong was set to be my new home for the next year.

HC: What was your daily life like in Hong Kong and what do you miss most about living there?

While studying in Hong Kong, I lived a very lavish lifestyle, which involved a lot of dining out, regular trips to Shanghai to buy tailored suits, sunbathing on the top of skyscrapers and partying with models at exclusive nightclubs during Honk Kong Fashion Week. The cost of enjoying the finer elements of life came very cheap in Hong Kong and as a Westerner, I was constantly showered with attention and chances to live a better life than most of the city’s local residents. During my year, I attended the Macau Formula Three Grand Prix, which was one of very few times anyone is allowed to gamble in the city. The nature of my luxurious lifestyle was like a fantasy and on the whole it is what I miss most about my time there. Other than that, I also miss the people I met while studying abroad and the crazy nights out we had living it up in VIP.

HC: Out of all of the places you travelled to during your year in Hong Kong, where did you enjoy most and why?

Hong Kong’s location and excellent travel facilities make visiting neighboring places very easy and very cheap. I vacationed in the Philippines, Japan, Shanghai and Thailand. Without a doubt, Thailand was my biggest highlight. Thailand has both great cultural and fun aspects to the country, however the memories from my night at the infamous ‘Full Moon Party’ will last a lifetime. The party takes place on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, on the night before or after every full moon with 20,000 – 30,000 people attending each party. The island comes alight at night and fire is a huge element of the entertainment, with lit limbo ropes and fire skipping ropes. It was one of the best memories of my year.

HC: What was your next move after finishing school in Hong Kong?

I was hired as an intern by the company Unión Fenosa Gas, where I traded natural gases over the phone during the summer of 2010. It was my job to locate and sell cargos from the Middle East containing gases worth in the region of $60 to $80 million to places such as Trinidad and Tobago, Oman and Algeria. Although I was interning, the responsibility on my head was very stressful and at times I felt out of my depth, however, the networking opportunities and experience have been invaluable.

HC: How is your American Dream panning out so far?

I love it here! I have a circle of amazing best friends who are a great mix of American and international students. After moving out of the dorms, I now share an apartment with three great guys who, like me, love to party and let loose. We are like a great extended family, which is really important for me as even after spending a great deal of time away from Madrid over the past two years, I have never stop missing home and my family in Spain.

A few of us have bought a clapped-out Dodge pick-up truck, and embarked on interesting road trips to New York, Boston, Niagara Falls, Texas, St. Louis and of course Chicago. I also can’t wait to drive across to Coachella in a few weeks. My year at U of I so far has been one crazy night after another and I am honestly going to miss each and every one of my friends I have met and shared this unforgettable experience with.

HC: What’s next?

I have had a job offer from Delta Partners to work as a strategic consultant in the Middle East and Africa, which would involve me living mainly in Dubai on the weekends and then travelling further afield during the week. However, I am keeping my options open and I am currently involved in an interview process for Oliver Wyman, which is international financial consultancy service and will be travelling to London for my last round of interviews over spring break. The job would allow me to travel throughout Europe and this really appeals to me, as I would love to work nearer to home so that I can regularly visit my friends and family in Spain.

Hannah first joined Her Campus as part of the Illinois branch as a writer during her study abroad year at UofI. While in the US, Hannah joined Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority and subsequently began to write a weekly column for the Greek newspaper, The Odyssey. Now back home in the UK, Hannah has founded the first ever UK HC branch for her own university, The University of Leeds. She is in her final year of a Politics degree and is excited for the year ahead and what great things Her Campus Leeds will achieve. Outside of her studies, Hannah enjoys travel, fashion and being an alumni of The University of Leeds Celtics Cheerleading squad where she ran as PR Secretary for the committee during her 2nd year.