Birth Control Legislation – Be aware of these changes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We are always warned about making sure we are aware of what kind of medicine we are taking, and more importantly, its effects. But do we always know about who’s paying for it?

While some of us have never had to worry about health insurance coverage, there are many Americans who are not so lucky.  They cannot get the medicine they need because health insurance does not cover it, and they themselves cannot afford it.

The birth control pill is the most common type of contraceptive in the United States. Between 2006-2008, 10.7 million women were using this method. With so many women using this medicine, what happens if they can no longer pay for it?

Photo by Victoria Herold

According to the New York Times, President Obama has proposed a healthcare bill that will require all health insurance companies to cover birth control pill costs with no co-pay for clients.

Dr. David Lawrence, medical director at McKinley Health Center believes “that inclusion of contraception into the medication benefit portion of health insurance plans is an excellent method to decrease the number of unplanned and unwanted pregnancies and abortions.”

The passing of this bill would mean free access to birth control pills for all women with health insurance. According to Dr. Lawrence, 70% of college women who are sexually active reported hormonal contraceptive use.

As such, this bill could greatly affect a large amount of women on our campus. However, this seemingly advantageous idea is under scrutiny, particularly by religious organizations. These groups feel that they should not be mandated to cover contraceptives if their use violates their beliefs.

Chelsea Mckinnis, a sophomore in AHS, says “I think that the church should be able to have a choice, and if the patient is religious, but would like to use birth control, they can choose other health services.”

President Obama has now proposed an amendment to accommodate for such organizations. Hospitals, universities, and charities with religious affiliations will not be required to provide birth control coverage.  Patrons of these organizations will still be allowed access to this medicine through their employers.

However, some birth control pills are not only used as a contraceptive. Legislators are discussing whether or not religious affiliated organizations should be required to provide birth control for non-contraceptive purposes.

“I know many girls are on it [the pill] for health reasons, including acne control and menstrual regulation” says McKinnis.

The government has been working to reform healthcare for some time now, and although there is still much to be discussed, it does seem as though we are moving towards a change. Women should always be aware of proposed legislation, since these bills could one day become laws that directly affect you and your health.

Mary Alex is a senior at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She is studying communication, public relations and theatre. When not writing for Her Campus, Mary Alex loves to run, read and see plays. She also has a weakness for peanut butter, is a huge Cubs fan, and has seen every episode of Gilmore Girls multiple times.
Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!