Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: Shampoo & Conditioner That’s Worth the Splurge!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Hi guys!  My name is Kelly and I am a sophomore at U of I, and am also a self-declared beauty product hoarder.  Ever since I was young, my passion has been for exploring beauty and trying out new products.  I am currently studying advertising, but I plan on attending cosmetology school soon after graduation.  Having worked at a hair salon, I have accumulated knowledge about beauty, and am excited to share some insight with you!  As I have sampled many different products, I hope my experiences can save you a few dollars before you purchase that no-go lip-gloss or deceiving hairspray, and spend those dollars on items with which I’ve had positive experiences.  My dream is to try all of the beauty products out there: hair, skin, nails, and especially make-up.  Though this dream is far-fetched, I hope to share my findings with you through this blog (also an excuse to buy more)!  Enjoy!

Did you know that most shampoos and conditioners on drugstore shelves might be more harmful to your hair than they are helpful?  Actually, most of these products contain harsh chemicals that strip your hair of their natural oils (“purifying” shampoos) and over-compensate this process with “moisturizing” or “hydrating” conditioners that leave your hair greasy and lifeless, according to http://www.salonweb.com/pro/shampoo.htm. Though they may smell delicious, these perfumes are often composed of unnatural ingredients that are detrimental to your hair.  As my obsession for products is never ending, I am guilty of purchasing and using drugstore products such as mouse or gel, but shampoo and conditioner are definitely products I believe are to be taken seriously.  As most everyday beauty routines begin with a good wash and condition, I strongly encourage you to splurge juuust a little on your shampoo and conditioner. 

The beauty salon I worked at this summer in Wauconda, IL is all about living “la pura vida” (the pure life) and embracing natural beauty.  The salon introduced me to Pureology products, and after trying out many different concoctions over the years, I’ve declared this line the best in its class.  This all-natural brand doesn’t strip hair of its natural oils or leave it greasy from heavy conditioners.  Among many other great features, Pureology is 100% vegan, meaning the ingredients are all natural and don’t contain any animal byproducts like most other lines.  Though it’s slightly more expensive than your average Herbal Essences (~$26 per bottle), it is very reasonable for the quality and a little goes a long way.  I find that one wash lasts several days without looking greasy or dirty. I prefer the Essential Repair line but have seen great results in the salon with all the other ones.  

Photo

As an impressed Pureology user, I definitely recommend this line to anyone who is looking for a healthier, more natural addition to their every day beauty regime.  The Pureology products are available for purchase online, and I actually saw them at Trade Secret in the Market Place mall right in Champaign!

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!