Style > Beauty

Beauty Blog: How to Keep a Healthy Glow in the Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Let’s face it- we all love being tan. Nothing more satisfying than a few freckles and a slightly darker complexion after a hard day’s work laying out in the summer sun.  I do love the winter season and the holiday spirit; however, with all that Christmas cheer comes pale and dry skin. So how do you maintain a healthy glow when laying poolside is not an option? Here are some tips to keep your skin in tip top shape during the wintery weather!

1.  Look for face lotions that have the following ingredients: petrolatum, mineral-oil, linoleic acid or glycerin.
  2. Stay hydrated.  Keeping yourself hydrated allows the skin to stay moisturized and flushes the toxins out of your body.
  3. Use Self Tanning Face Cream. Clarins Tinted Self Tanning Cream $28.00 (Nordstrom). This even tinted lotion gives you a bronzed look, plus it has SPF15 so your face is protected from the actual sun when outdoors.
  4. Indulge in Chocolate. Yes, I said it! This will keep your skin moister, smoother and less red.
  5. Avoid hot showers; these tend to dry out your skin.
  6. If you can, invest in a humidifier. Heating systems make the indoor air not just warm, but dry as well. This sucks out the moisture from your skin which contributes to dryness.
  7. Buy a great bronzer. Take advantage of your makeup bag! My personal favorite is Sun Bronze by Laura Mercier. Regardless of the brand, a little bronzer goes along way.

Use this few tips and you will have healthy looking skin in no time! 

Emily Cleary is a 22-year-old news-editorial journalism major hoping to work in the fashion industry, whether that be in editorial, marketing, PR or event planning is TBD. With internships at Teen Vogue and StyleChicago.com, it's clear that she is a fashion fanatic. When she's not studying (she's the former VP of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta), writing for various publications or attending meetings for clubs like Business Careers in Entertainment Club, Society of Professional Journalists, The Business of Fashion Club, or for her role as the Assistant Editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of her school's magazine, she's doing something else; you will never find her sitting still. She loves: running (you know those crazy cross-country runners...), attending concerts and music festivals, shopping (of course), hanging out with friends, visiting her family at home, traveling (she studied abroad in London when she was able to travel all over Europe), taking pictures, tweeting, reading stacks and stacks of magazines and newspapers while drinking a Starbuck's caramel light frappacino, blogs and the occasional blogging, eating anything chocolate and conjuring up her next big project. Living just 20 minutes outside of Chicago, she's excited to live there after graduation, but would love to spend some time in New York, LA, London or Paris (she speaks French)!