This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

We are in the thick of the few weeks of school that everyone dreads: the two weeks between Thanksgiving break and winter break. If your schedule is anything like mine, then you’re feeling slightly overwhelmed by the exams and projects that are due soon. These few weeks are tough but having a plan in place to tackle everything ahead sure helps a bunch. Below you will find organization tips and how I go about studying for exams and organizing myself as the end of the semester approaches.

Develop a plan and stick to it

Physically writing out a study plan or a to-do list is super helpful in terms of keeping yourself organized and avoiding procrastination. Refer to the list often throughout the day to remind yourself of your tasks and assignments. Using a cute planner or notebook can help you feel more put together and help with the aesthetics of being a busy girl. I always write out my daily assignments that are due and I block chunks of time for studying the different courses I have final exams in. I always try to keep it consistent day to day as having a routine is how I function best.

Go to or create a productive environment

My favorite is studying at any library on campus, specifically on the quiet study floors. Since everyone there is doing the same thing, my distractions are minimized and I feel morally supported by the people in the room who probably also want to get a good grade on their exams. Personally, I need silence in order to focus, but I understand there are people who like a little bit of background noise when trying to study or work. Go to a cute little coffee shop like Espresso Royale or Cafe Bene if you want less deafening silence in your workspace. Another option is to create your own productive workspace right from your dorm or apartment! Set up your desk with your essentials, put on your headphones and get to work! Whichever avenue you pursue, pair it with a fun beverage to sip on. Obviously, this is easy if you’re in a cafe, but if you’re going to the library or studying from home, get yourself a yummy drink to sip on while you work!

Practice self-discipline and reward yourself

All of the tips and tricks mean nothing if you’re not actively trying to apply yourself. As I mentioned earlier, keeping a consistent routine may work in trying to accomplish all of your tasks and avoid procrastination. If you’re like me and your phone is your main distraction, I will either place it in another room, or I’ll have my roommates hide it for me for a certain amount of time until I’m done with an assignment. When I’m studying, I always try to remind myself of why I’m doing what I’m doing, and that it’s an accomplishment in and of itself that I got this far! I also try to envision myself being done with finals and relaxing over break. 

Hi everyone, my name is Solomiya and I am a junior majoring in Kinesiology at UIUC. Though I study within a STEM related field, I have always loved the arts- especially writing. I am so excited to be on this team and rekindle that writer's spark!