7 Heat Wave Essentials To Keep In Your Tote Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s been starting to cool off in the past week, but this summer’s heat wave has been like none other we have seen before. Between sweaty, nightmarish walks to class, sunburns, and keeping the AC running at all times, trying to stay cool and comfortable takes a lot of effort in these sky-high temperatures. We put together a list of some handy items to keep within reach in case the summer heat decides to pop out one last time before the sweater weather.

1. Sunscreen

Sunscreen is a daily necessity, and it’s crucial not just for preventing premature aging, but to avoid skin damage and cancer. Remember that while higher UV levels correlate with higher temperatures and clearer skies, it’s always present. It’s important to always carry some SPF to be safe, even when it turns cooler and cloudier! Be sure to use enough and reapply every two hours of direct sun exposure.

1. Water Bottle and Electrolyte Powder

Along with protecting yourself from UV rays, it’s just as important to stay hydrated to avoid heat exhaustion. The general guideline is to drink a cup of liquid every half hour, so get a reusable water bottle to make sure you’re getting enough water! For extra hydration, try some electrolyte powder to add to your water to regulate your body and maintain your energy throughout the day. 

1. Deodorant

This isn’t a fun conversation to have, but always keep an extra stick of deodorant in your bag to stay fresh all day. To avoid both sweat and body odor, look for an antiperspirant — deodorant just covers odor. Pro-tip: Body odor is caused by bacteria, so using antibacterial body wash (for example, any containing benzoyl peroxide) will help keep the smell at bay for longer.

1. Face Cloth

It’s not glamorous, but carrying a face cloth or small towel (look for quick drying ones!) can be useful when you might need to look a little more presentable after a hot and sweaty walk outside to class. For my fellow oily-skin girls, carrying some extra oil blotting sheets as well has been a game changer.

1. Mini Fan

A mini rechargeable fan can feel amazing on a hot day, and help you stay a bit more cool and comfortable. There are lots of options that are small enough to fit into your bag, or alternatively, look into folding fans to feel like a Jane Austen character. These can be a great way to get some relief in hot weather and make walking to class easier to get through.

1. Baseball Cap/Hat

An easy way to stay protected from the sun (no, this doesn’t mean you can skip the sunscreen!) is by bringing a brimmed hat or cap to wear when the sun is beating directly overhead. It’s not a foolproof way to avoid UV rays, but it can add a little extra backup to your sunscreen.

1. Non-Comedogenic Makeup and Skincare

Some people choose to skip makeup altogether on hot days, but if you choose to wear it, try to pick a non-comedogenic option to prevent clogged pores and a buildup of oil. The same goes for skincare — opt for light creams and products to avoid breakouts and keep your skin clear.

Hi! I'm Theo, and I go to University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.