5 Steps for Creating a New Year’s Resolution That You Will Actually Stick To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

The new year holiday represents a lot of things: reflection, celebration and preparation for the upcoming year. Part of the preparation for many collegiettes includes the creation of a New Year’s resolution.

Many people make the choice to finally get in shape or kick old habits. However, some find themselves setting resolutions that they do not keep. It is even common for people to forgo making a resolution because they feel like there is no point if they just end up breaking it.

“I don’t even make New Year’s resolutions anymore because I can’t keep them!” said freshman Victoria Mendiola.

So, follow our simple guide to make a New Year’s resolution that you will actually stick to in reaching your goal this year!

1. Generate ideas.

Think about what you want your resolution to be now. If you begin this process as soon as possible, you will have more time to create a plan on how to achieve it. Thinking through your goal will help you be more attached to the idea so that it will not be that easy to abandon it later when things get hard.

2. Keep it simple.

To start, you should pick a resolution that is simple. An article in Forbes Magazine stated, “Just 8% of people are able to achieve their New Year’s resolutions.”

Keeping a resolution simple will increase your chance of achieving it. Starting small can also help you to expand your goal later in the year.

Another way to simplify your goal is by choosing just one or two to focus on. Most people create a list of things they want to complete in the upcoming year, but by narrowing your options, you’ll be able to focus all of your energy on your success.

3. Gather reinforcements.

There is strength in numbers. Get a friend to create the same resolution. With two (or even more) people you will be able to hold each other accountable for staying on track. You also have some moral support for when things get hard because you will have someone who can relate to what you are going through.

4. Track it.

Keep track of your goal. Charting your progress is a great way to stay motivated. If you can see how far you have come, it will be easier for you to keep going. A visual reminder also holds you accountable.

5. Persevere and believe in yourself!

Forbes Magazine discusses that a lot of people lose their resolutions because they lose faith. “More often than not, people who fail to keep their resolutions blame their own lack of willpower,” Forbes said. “In surveys, these would-be resolvers repeatedly say that if only they had more self-determination, they would’ve overcome any hurdles and achieved their goals.”

If you set a goal with the mindset that you will not be able to achieve it then you won’t be successful. Set your goal with the belief in yourself that you can meet it and you will!

Follow these steps and you can assure your success in achieving your New Year’s resolution! In the end, it will all be worth it.

Photo sources:

http://humansareweird.com/2014/01/02/my-weird-new-years-resolution/

http://www.playbuzz.com/rachaelg/how-likely-are-you-to-stick-to-your-new…

http://mysistersjar.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/pounds-lost-jar-012.jpg

I'm a Journalism major at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. My passion is writing and I hope to do so for the rest of my life ~
A senior at the University of Illinois, Elizabeth spends half of her time in denial of her impending graduation and the other half acting as Editor-in-Chief/ President/Campus Correspondent for the site you're on now, Her Campus Illinois. Her favorite color is pink, which makes this position a match made in heaven. Still trying to figure out what she wants to be when she grows up, her passions lie in writing, digital marketing, social media and fashion. Connect with her on Twitter and Instagram @champaigngirl. And if you prefer good, old fashioned email, reach her at elizabethdeuel@hercampus.com.