This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It’s finally springtime, which means doing some spring cleaning within your wardrobe! It’s always such a fun time to shop for spring and summer clothes. There are many new trends for this season, and below I’ve listed the top five trends I’ve seen on campus.

1. Spring dresses

Spring dresses are a win-win because you can look like you dressed up and you don’t have to wear pants! It seems that patterned and ruffled spring dresses are a huge current trend. They’re so versatile as well, and can be worn to various events throughout the season. A good spring dress is definitely an essential thing to have in your wardrobe.

2. Cropped jeans

I personally love the new trend of having jeans with a cool crop on the bottom. It gives an outfit that extra “oomph” in just the right places. The biggest trends in jeans are frayed cropped bottoms and stripes on the side. There are so many cool options to choose from when shopping for jeans, so you’re sure to find a style you love!

3. Platform sandals

Platform sandals are a huge hit this spring season. They’re kind of like heels but without all of the pain! They go with so many outfits and some have super cute ties on the top. These are definitely a staple for your spring outfits!

4. Patterned skirts

Can we just take a moment to appreciate that mini skirts are back in style? Skirts are a major trend, and there are so many different patterns and styles to choose from. They can be dressed up or dressed down, and they go with so many pieces!

5. Sunglasses

Since we’re finally able to go outside and enjoy the nice weather, it’s a good idea to invest in a pair of sunglasses that you love! Unique sunglasses are such a trend right now, and they make an outfit so much better in my opinion. There are so many different styles to choose from, and so many cute options out there just for you this spring season.

Trends come and go, but it’s still important to invest in pieces that you love. These five things are very popular right now, and I hope that after reading this you’ll try out new things to further define your style.

Photo 1  | Photo 2  | Photo 3

Corinne is currently a sophomore majoring in Advertising in the College of Media at the University of Illinois.
Gloriann Lance

Illinois '19

Hi! My name is Gloriann Lance and I am a senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. I am one of the two Campus Correspondents for the 2018-2019 school year and I have been on Her Campus for 3 years.