freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Cute & Affordable Date Ideas for Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

It can be difficult to think of cute and affordable date ideas for Valentine’s Day, especially if you’re on a budget. Here are 5 ideas for you and your significant other on this day of love:

1. Make a scrapbook

Go to Hobby Lobby or Joann’s and buy some scrapbooking materials. It doesn’t have to be super fancy or expensive. Buy a scrapbook and some stickers, print out a couple of photos of you and your significant other from Walgreen’s, and use markers and colored pens from home to make a cute scrapbook. You can look back on these in the future and remember the fun times you had. 

2. Grab brunch

If you don’t have a lot of money to spend, instead of going out for dinner, get brunch or breakfast food. You can wake up early, grab food, and then spend the rest of your day going on more cute dates. 

3. Go for a drive

This seems silly and boring, but going for long drives can lead to meaningful conversations, especially if you’re “in the feels” because it’s Valentine’s Day. Take a long drive with no destination and see where you end up.

4. Shop at a used bookstore

Find a used books bookstore and look for good reads you can share with your significant other. There is something about being surrounded by used texts that gives a feeling of nostalgia, and you can experience this again this Valentine’s Day.

5. Drink fancy coffee

Instead of going for the usual Starbucks or Espresso Royale, look for a fancy coffee joint that is aesthetically pleasing to look at and tastes as good as it looks. Going out for a nice coffee is a small but meaningful date idea.

All photos taken by Julie Kang

Julie Kang

Illinois '20

Julie Kang is a Journalism major at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. In her free time, Julie enjoys ice skating, shopping, talking and eating with friends and reading. Follow her on Instagram at @julieebaaby