Style > Beauty

Your Guide To a Simple, Everyday Makeup Look 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

College is not easy, but your makeup can be! Not everyone has the time or energy to wake up 3 hours before class and put on a full face of makeup. If you do, I am impressed and jealous. Everyone’s makeup routine is different and what works for some people might not work for others. That being said, I am here to share my 5 step, 10 minute morning makeup routine for when I want to highlight my favorite features and get out the door on time. So if you are new to the makeup world, or you just want to cut down on your makeup time, this is the article for you!

Skincare

ALWAYS start your makeup with a clean, moisturized face. My very first step every morning is taking my trusty CeraVe moisturizing creme and putting it on my face and neck. I then apply some sunscreen (always remember sunscreen, bestie. Even if it’s not sunny out.) When that’s done, I am ready to start with my makeup. 

Foundation/concealer/ BB Cream 

The next step is to add your creams. Whether you use foundation or CC cream, this should be your next step. My biggest tip is to apply it lightly (applying too much will take a while to blend in). I scan my face for any pimples or dark areas, and I only use foundation/concealer in those areas. I use my fingers to blend everything in. You can also use a beauty blender- that’s probably more sanitary. 

Powder 

Now it’s time to pull out your face powder. Take a powder brush and apply the powder to the areas you’ve applied concealer. If you didn’t apply any concealer, you can skip this step. This process is called “baking”.  the powder is supposed to help keep the concealer fresh all day. You could take out your blush and add it to your cheeks and across your nose. I also like to add some to my forehead and my chin, but be careful and use a very light hand. You don’t want to look like a tomato! 

Eyes 

It’s time to work on the upper half of your face! If I have time or I am in the mood, I will grab my eyebrow gel and use it to keep my eyebrows in place. If I’m running short on time, I skip it. Next, grab your favorite mascara and go crazy. I like to brush mascara all over my eyelashes and take a makeup wipe and clean up around my eye after. Now that your eyelashes are nice and long, you can add any eyeshadow you want. If you want to go more natural look, you can skip this step, or you can use highlighter. Highlighter is amazing, because it gives your eyes a little pop without it being too distracting. Remember to ALWAYS put mascara on before eyeshadow! If you get mascara on your eyelid, you will have to wipe it off and start over. Once you’re done with eye shadow, it’s time for the last step.

Finishing touches

Now, it’s time to wipe off the excess powder and add some highlighter. I like to add highlighter on my eyelids, corners of my eyes and nose. Make sure you don’t forget Chapstick and lip gloss!

Now you’re done! This whole process usually takes less than 10 minutes, and you’re left with a natural makeup look! Hopefully you feel good, look good, and have time to grab breakfast! Success!

Cecilia Medina

Illinois State '23

Hey! I'm Cecilia (Cece) Medina and I am a psychology major. I'm from Chicago and my favorite thing to do is explore my city. I also love to write, draw, bake, swim, shop and play with my two cats- Pilot and Whiskers. I love to give advice so if you ever need some- I'm your girl :) My insta is @ceciliamedina2005