Yes, Video Game Music Can Help You Study. Here’s How:

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I’m a chronic procrastinator. I despise doing my work most of the time, but I discovered a fun fact that has completely changed my work ethic. Listening to video game soundtracks can help you study and work way more efficiently. It’s proven to be one of the most useful tips and tricks I’ve ever learned, and I still use it today, even while writing this blog post. I hadn’t looked into how and why it’s designed the way it is, but after seeing how phenomenal the results are, I decided it was time to find out why and share it with all of you. So, how does video game music aid in concentration?

One of my favorite quotes…

“I also brought Mozart to play while he sleeps to make him smarter because leading experts say Mozart makes babies smarter.”

The Incredible (2004) Bret ‘Brook’ Parker: Kari.

You’ve probably heard that listening to classical music, such as Beethoven or Mozart, makes you smarter. However, the “scientific” research underlying Classical Music Theory appears to be very limited, or even vague. However, just because Classical Music may not have a significant effect on the brain does not imply that music in general does not. Music causes the brain to release dopamine, allowing you to experience pleasure, satisfaction and motivation. Music also improves memory, creativity and cognitive function. All of these things help with productivity and task completion.

So, what makes video game music so unique? Video game music is intended to encourage players to interact while remaining unobtrusive in the background. The songs are like rhythmic stories that entice the player to earn achievements, unlock new levels and explore the game beyond their imaginations. It is essentially an ambiance that engages you but does not sidetrack you from your objectives. It is lyricless, yet upbeat and energizing, making it less distracting than, say, your favorite hip-hop or pop album. However, listening to anything that encourages and motivates you to complete your work is sufficient. It does not have to be strictly video game music.

I used to listen to Russian Waltz Music to help me concentrate on things like homework. I ended up becoming too preoccupied with the music rather than the task at hand. It was entertaining, yet, disruptive. Instead of completing my math worksheets, I imagined myself as a lovely princess, dancing in a lavish ball with a dashingly charming prince. I couldn’t stay focused. So I started listening to my favorite Video Game Soundtracks of all time: Minecraft – Volume Alpha by C418, as well as his three singles for the 2018 Aquatic Update, “Dragon Fish,” “Shuniji” and “Axolotl.” I noticed a significant shift in my approach to my work. 

“It was as if I were being sucked into a trance of relaxation and calm, and all my anxiety and need for distraction had vanished. It was as if a massive comforting support system was cheering me on.”

The serenity comforted me so much that I didn’t want to leave the state and thus didn’t want to stop doing my homework. Has there ever been a time when you didn’t want to stop doing your homework? So now, whenever I work on an assignment, the ambient sounds of Minecraft music will be playing in my ears. And, to avoid becoming bored with the same things, I like to change the music I listen to as well as my surroundings on a regular basis.

If you don’t already have a favorite video game soundtrack, or if you don’t play video games on a regular or infrequent basis, here are some soundtracks that I enjoy listening to and that have previously helped me focus:

Minecraft – Volume Beta: C418

The Sims 3 Soundtrack:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Original Soundtrack:

Halo: Original Soundtrack:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons Original Soundtrack:

Original Tetris Theme (Tetris Soundtrack) Gameboy:

Do you have any favorite tunes to listen to while studying? If so, do you perform well or struggle? Test out these soundtracks to see if they work for you.

Ashlee Salter

Illinois State '26

Hi, it's a pleasure to meet you! I'm Ashlee Salter, a sophomore at ISU majoring in Fashion Merchandising (bound to change). My goal in life is to travel the world, witnessing breath-taking landscapes and experiencing one in a lifetime experiences. I am overjoyed to be writing new, creative, inspiring, and thought-provoking blogs for everyone who reads Her Campus. Some facts about myself: I am passionate about film, food, entertainment, the visual arts, and literature. I've been writing for almost my entire life, and Her Campus has given me the opportunity to share my writing with the world. I am eternally grateful! Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me.