Life > Experiences

Why You Don’t Need New Years Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The new year has just begun. People are reflecting on the last year while trying to think of what they need to alter about their lives to make them better. There is an immense amount of pressure to come up with the most creative, bold and exhilarating resolution, and it all kind of feels impossible. I have found that during my time in college, the unrealistic expectations I have for myself only made me feel worse by the end of the year. The truth is, you don’t need a new year’s resolution, and if you want something to work toward, focus on working on that expectation over time instead of stressing about something that is nearly impossible to achieve fully at first.

It is completely unrealistic to think you can “fix” every negative aspect of your life after the first day of the new year. Doing so will get you down and make you feel defeated after the first few weeks. Instead, focus on what you could do now to readjust that frame of mind. For example, if you want to exercise more in the new year, make it a priority to have some type of movement in your day instead of confining your expectation to going to the gym every day. That way, a walk around campus or a quick workout video will make you feel accomplished.

As an education major, I have learned that reflection is a crucial quality that I need to have. Learning from my mistakes and going through tons of experiences where I have reflected on my mistakes has been extremely helpful in my academic career and personal life. If you don’t know what to do for a new year’s resolution, think about the past year and what you could improve compared to last year, and try to incorporate those changes.

If you’re feeling overwhelmed about trying to think of new year’s resolutions, don’t panic. It’s better to focus on trying to reflect on your past year. Happy 2023!

Jillian Groot

Illinois State '24

My name is Jillian Groot and I am a senior English education major with an Italian studies minor at Illinois State University.