This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Times are dark right now, but everyone is trying to stay positive and spread some hope around. You may have seen on Facebook, on a walk, or on a little drive around town, hearts in the windows of houses and/or businesses. I first saw it on Facebook a group called Heart Hunters, https://www.facebook.com/groups/326431341651785/. I have also seen others put them in their windows and I have seen them in the windows of the small and/or family businesses downtown in my hometown. Seeing all of these hearts makes me feel happy and hopeful. They also help me realize that we are all in this together even though we have to social distance away from others right now. Now you may be wondering what these hearts for are other than spreading positivity and hope and doing something “together” during this difficult time. I have read a lot of posts on Facebook that say they are a way of saying thanks to the essential workers that still have to leave their house almost if not every day to work and help others. I have even seen some that say certain colors are for certain jobs/workers, although I don’t remember what color is for what job.ho

Two people holding hands in heart shape during sunset
Pixabay / Pexels

person doing heart hand sign
Pixabay via Pexels

I live in the country and there is never a lot of people that walk, ride bikes, or drive past my house, but I still put hearts up in my windows. I hope that this article makes you want to do it too, so we can all come together and spread positivity and hope.

Nastassja Ott

Illinois State '22

Junior at Illinois State University Early Childhood Education Major I love reading, writing, drawing, and coloring in my free time
Contributor account for Illinois State