Have you heard of the Seven Feminine Archetypes?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

You may have heard of the Myers-Briggs Personality Archetypes, but have you ever heard of the seven Feminine Archetypes? I was first introduced to this from a podcast on the reality of the dark feminine. The speaker stated how there are not just light feminine and dark feminine energies, but there are seven feminine archetypes that go as far back as Greek Mythology.

Out of the seven, we will not just resonate with one – we should resonate with around three to four. To be a well-rounded woman, we must encapsulate all seven feminine archetypes through some aspect of our lives. After reading through the descriptions below, I suggest you reflect on which archetypes you feel resonate the most and which you can improve on. After much reflection, take this quiz to test that belief and send the quiz to your friends!

1. The Mother

As can be assumed, the Mother archetype is protective of her loved ones. She gains from caring for others and providing a shoulder to cry on. Her energy is warm and understanding, every person can benefit from knowing this woman. Due to her giving nature, she is often taken advantage of for her emotional support and selfless service to others.

2. The Maiden

This archetype is often perceived as the loyal “king’s daughter” due to her innocent and imaginative persona. This archetype is often present at the beginning of a woman’s life – the most unawakened of archetypes. Here, the woman is naive to the intentions of others, though she has the most potential to learn and grow from life’s lessons.

3. The Huntress

Known as the “protector of women,” the Huntress is brave in her endeavors for justice. As the most self-reliant of the archetype, she is quite in touch with her inner warrior. She is an unstoppable force and will do anything in her power to protect the ones she loves. Something this archetype is not suited for is vulnerability and asking for help when needed.

4. The Mystic

From the name, one can assume that the Mystic woman is quite an interesting woman to accompany. With her mysterious and peaceful nature, this woman will shift you in ways you cannot put into words. With her heightened awareness of herself and others, she maneuvers through situations with her intuition as a guide. This sign is often self-isolating, therefore causing a disconnection between her and those around her.

5. The Sage

Alike to the Huntress, the Sage is a natural-born protector of information. She relies on her strategic thinking to guide her through life, which can often cause conflict with her heart. Known as the most logical of the archetypes, the Sage woman is a force to be reckoned with. Her devotion to her quest for greater knowledge and self-improvement is unstoppable. This archetype can often struggle with mind-wandering and being overly determined in a way that disrupts her relationships.

6. The Queen

The queen is a natural-born leader, with a strong devotion to those around her – including her king. Alike to the Sage in her strategic mind, the Queen uses her power to gain loyal followers. She is high-maintenance and knows what she wants and just how to get it. With her untouchable confidence, the Queen is calm, collected, and in control at all times. When in a predicament, the queen is often seen as trying to take control of situations to favor her wants and needs.

7. The Lover

Passionate. Sensual. Beautiful. The Lover is all of these things and more. She is attractive in all forms, both physically, spiritually and mentally. Her energy is priceless, leaving her subjects enamored with her presence. She is adept at building strong connections with others as she leads her life with her heart. Her life path is aligned with her passionate and creative mind, body and spirit.

After reading through the seven feminine archetypes, which main ones do you identify with? Which do you not relate to at all? You can use this as a reflective exercise on what you need to work on to become a truly well-rounded woman. Want to learn more about the Seven Feminine Archetypes? I suggest tuning in to the Create Love Create Freedom podcast episode called “Feminine Psychology – Understanding the Seven Feminine Archetypes.” The creator of this podcast, Allison Fischer, speaks in great depth about these feminine archetypes. Check it out!

Kailyn Coleman

Illinois State '23

Hey guys! I am a Senior at Illinois State studying to become a Speech Language Pathologist! I love to meet new people, travel, and visit local small businesses :)