Whey Protein Powder: What It Is And How To Use It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Maybe you’ve heard all the guys on campus talking about their whey protein shakes, or ordering a boost of whey in their Jamba Juice smoothies at the Rec, but do you really know what Whey protein is? 

Whey protein is one of the two main proteins found in milk that is extremely digestible.  Whey can be used as an alternative for milk products that can be found in low-fat products such as ice cream.  

Whey is also popularly found in protein shakes and smoothies to assist in building muscle.  Whey is a popular dietary supplement for improving muscle strength and body composition.  Whey works effectively because the body absorbs whey protein faster than protein found in say, a steak.  With that, the faster the body absorbs the protein, the faster your body can start building new muscle.  Whey protein is a great assistant when performing resistance training; the protein provides assistance during weight training and improves muscle protein synthesis.

But whey protein has more benefits than just making you “swole”.  There are also great health benefits with consuming whey protein.  The protein contains all the essential amino acids and can be a substitute for milk, if lactose intolerant.  Whey can help reduce and help treat some diseases, also.  It has also been found that whey has anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties and can act as a supplementary treatment for heart disease, diabetes and strengthen bone-loss.  Because whey is a protein, it should still be taken in moderation within the correct amount of protein your body type should consume daily.  

Recipe for a Berry Green Tea Protein Smoothie:

– 2 cups of blueberries (fresh or frozen— I used fresh!)

– 3-4 strawberries cut up

– 5 tbl spoons of non-fat plain or berry flavored yogurt

– 1/4 cup of green tea using 2 tea bags (Brew before making the smoothie so the tea can cool down)

– 1 scoop of whey protein powder (vanilla or plain is preferred)