What Your Scented Candle Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Fall means cold weather, and cold weather means candles! With so many to choose from, you’re bound to find one to match your personality. 

Beach breeze 

You buy this because you’re a broke college kid who can’t afford to go to a spa, so you bring the spa to you. You also wore puka shell necklaces and jean “skorts” in middle school. 

Eucalyptus mint 

Also known as “the stress relief candle.” You really like bubble baths. You’re stressed about life, live at the library and probably eat a lot of chocolate near midterms and finals. 

Pumpkin spice 

You just LOVE fall, you can’t get enough of it. You start wearing scarves in September, hate the word “moist” and visit Starbucks at least once a week. 

Pine 

Your whole house smells like a Christmas tree. You are a homebody, you’re addicted to watching Elf and you break out this candle on Nov. 1. 

Sandalwood 

You really like the smell of tree bark. Harry potter is your favorite. You enjoy taking long 8-mile hikes in the woods, shopping at Whole Foods, camping, and getting up at the crack of dawn to go for a run. 

Any fruit scent 

You have a really bubbly personality. You wear bright colors. You probably used those Smackers flavored lip balms up until you were 15. 

Mahogany teakwood 

You like the smell of male cologne. The one you have at home probably has a wood wick and is from Gordman’s. You may also own a few cats. 

The good news about candles is you’re allowed to use any scent during any season. Beach breeze in the winter? No problem, let it take you to an island! Go find you favorite scent and cozy up next to the fireplace. 

Liz Gomez

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State