Unexpected Fall Fashion Statements

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

When thinking of fall, what are the first things that come to mind? UGGs, scarves and pumpkin spice everything? Recently on campus I have seen more than enough of the previously stated fall trends. However, I have noticed many other trends that seem to be emerging as the leaves fall and the wind gets colder. Girls on campus have found some pretty creative ways to mark their stylish transition from summer to fall and I am going to share some of the following unexpected ones that I have seen!

1. Darker Hair Color

As soon as everyone returned from being home Labor Day weekend, highlights were a thing of the past. I did not even recognize some of the girls I know when we came back from that weekend because they went from being blonde or having highlights to having auburn streaks or chocolate brown locks. Girls tend to change their hair color to reflect the season they are in; the time of year is crucial in determining what their hair color should be. It really is the first step to changing your whole look for fall!

2. Warmer Makeup

With a darker hair color, a change in makeup is another way to make a fashion statement for fall. I see many girls taking Lorde-inspired beauty dares and trying out a dark lipstick for the season, as well as busting out the black liquid eyeliner for that signature cat eye. My favorite fall makeup item recently has been my nude eye shadow palette. I love being inspired by fall’s earthy tones, so using my eye shadow palette allows me to reflect my love in my own way.

3. Natural Nails

Say bye-bye to bright, neon nails ladies! Yes, even nail trends have made the transition for fall. Natural nails with a simple clear coat have been all the rage, along with nude and brown colored claws for fancier occasions. The quick approach of Halloween has also brought out every girl’s favorite dark polish, my favorite being classic black. Fall themed nail art is another creative outlet for fall fashion statements, ranging from candy corn fingertips to not so scary ghost artwork on each nail!

4. Gloves

The presence of scarves is always noticed when the seasons change, but gloves make just as much of a statement for fall! Gloves not only protect from frostbite but are the protectors of your newly fall themed nails. I find gloves to be the most fancy item of clothing in the winter; I have a pair made from pink leather! Matching your gloves to your favorite fall scarf and coat can also be a great way to pull your whole fall look together. They also make holding a pumpkin spice latte a little more chic!

5. Leg Warmers

Just like a good pair of gloves, leg warmers can be another set of protection against the cold weather approaching; they’re also another great way to express a powerful fall fashion statement. With all the walking that happens on campus, leg warmers are a must and another great way to pull your whole fall outfit together from head to toe. Having a little bit of the knit peaking just above the cut of the boot makes more of a statement then UGGs ever could!

Chloe Kasper

Illinois State

Celina Porretta

Illinois State