The Truth about Vyvanse and Adderall Use During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.
Finals are a stressful time for all of us. Focusing is almost impossible after a while and procrastination is through the roof. College students have been notorious for taking medications to increase their productivity during finals week. “Brain doping” is the term that many use to refer to taking medications like Adderall and Vyvanse. These are two of the most popular drugs that students take to help them focus. While these medications do help you focus and keep you studying for hours on end, but what about the side effects? Is this a good idea? 
Adderall: Adderalll is a medication that is prescribed to those with ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,) as well as narcolepsy for those who have trouble sleeping. 
When using Adderall, it makes it difficult to sleep. You are so focused that eating and sleeping become scarce. As momma always told you when you’re studying for finals, sleep and eating healthy are always the best thing you can do after studying hard. As college students we can sometimes forget the basic things we can do to help ourselves stay focused rather than taking medication that we haven’t been prescribed for.  
Adderall can be a dangerous thing. The last thing you are expecting is dependency. When taking this drug it seems only temporary — just to get through this one week of finals. What happens when you have moved from “Oh just this once” to taking Adderall to make it through class or a lunch date. Adderall is a short term performance booster with long term effects. 

The side effects include:
-Weight loss
-Insomnia
-Dependability 
-Increased anxiety 
-Reduced effectiveness in the long run
-Headaches 
-Irritability 

Vyvanse is another drug similar to Adderall that is used for performance enhancement that is becoming increasingly popular. Adderall is very addictive, but Vyvanse is less addictive. Vyvance is also used to treat symptoms of ADHD and it helps to increase focus. The side effects for Vyvanse are similar to Adderall:

The side effects include:
-Irritability 
-Restlessness 
-Euphoria
-Rapid Heart Beat
-Dissyness 
-Dry mouth 
-Diarrhea
-Vomiting 

The point is, be careful when using these performance-enhancing drugs. It may seem like a great idea at the time and that A on your exam will benefit you now. But long term, these ADHD medications are not a good idea for healthy people. In the end your efficiency will decrease. 

Citations and more information: 

Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State

Contributor account for Illinois State