Trick-or-Treat For Change at Illinois State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If volunteering for a great cause while bringing out your inner child sounds appealing to you, check out Trick-or-Treat for Change this Halloween. 

Trick-or-Treat for Change is run through Leadership and Service in the Dean of Students Office here at Illinois State. This program lets you trick-or-treat while also raising money for Habitat for Humanity. 

Habitat for Humanity is a non-profit organization that strives to give everyone a safe and decent place to live. They do this through donations made by people and organizations, and put that money toward building homes for people all over the world. To date, trick or treat for change has raised over $60,000 between it’s ISU and Wesleyan chapters. 

On Halloween, students get together in groups of four with one of the group members being able to provide transportation. The group then walks around the Bloomington-Normal area and trick-or-treats for donations that will benefit Habitat for Humanity. This has become a popular event over the years on campus, and is a great way to get involved to make the most out of the holiday. 

“I enjoyed particpating with Trick-or-Treat for Change because you raise money for a good cause and get to know your community,” junior Lauren George said.

Check in for the event is from 4:30-6 p.m. on Oct. 31 in the Brown Ballroom of the Bone Student Center, and the event will end at 8 p.m. Anyone who is interested can register online through the Dean of Students Office website, located here.

This is a great volunteer opportunity and  organization to become involved with. Several RSOs on campus, as well as Greek Life, team up to participate in the event. Students can dress up if they want, and trick-or-treating is fun at any age. 

“If I can still dress up and trick-or-treat as a college student, while raising money for a good cause, you can bet I’ll be there dressed as a banana,” senior Andrea Marushka said.

So this Halloween, before you go out and start the holiday festivities, take the opportunity to trick-or-treat like a kid again and raise money for a great cause. You can help build a home for someone just by just having fun with your friends. 

Kelley Bowles

Illinois State

Kelley Bowles. Illinois State University. From Chicago IL. Reporter for The Vidette. Writer for HerCampus. English-Publishing major. Avid lover of Mac n Cheese and puppies.
Megan Lawler

Illinois State