Top 5 Favorite Movies To Watch This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s that time of the year again. Time to gather around the T.V. with your significant other, family, friends or maybe just you and a big bowl of popcorn, and enjoy all of your favorite Halloween movies! Sure, they may not have the best acting or the greatest plot, but we never fail to watch them every year. Everyone can admit to having our guilty pleasures, which in this case may be a cheesy, over the top Halloween movie or a scary thriller that leaves you sleeping with lights on!

1. Hocus Pocus. Lets begin with the one and only, “Hocus Pocus”! If you’ve never seen this movie, you may need to reevaluate your childhood. They may not be the nicest witches in town, but the notorious Sanderson sisters will forever hold a place in our childhood hearts.  No one should have to miss out on this classic Halloween movie!

2. Halloweentown and Halloweentown High. Whether most of us admit it or not, “Halloweentown” will forever be engraved in our brains. Each and every year we catch ourselves still tuning into Disney Channel to catch “Halloweentown”, whether it’s the first, second, third or fourth time. Who can keep track with all the sequels, anyways? Either way, this movie never fails to give us the sense that Halloween is near!

3. Beetlejuice — yes, I said it. This movie never fails to creep you out in every way possible. It seems that each time you watch Beetlejuice you start to realize more of the weird occurrences that happen in this movie. Although we may wonder why we bother watching this film, it still grabs our attention when we are flipping through the channels because of it’s twisted and strange plot filled with dark humor.

4. Halloween. Since it is a spooky time of the year, where we all tell ghost stories and bring out the fear in each other, we can’t forget about the classic horror films. What better movie to watch than the Michael Myers thriller, “Halloween”?  Everyone has to watch this movie at some point in their life being as it is a classic! Not to mention the fact that your mind might start to believe that every person at night may be stalking you (just a forewarning). This movie, without a doubt, captures the essence of Halloween! 

5. Friday the 13th. “Friday the 13th” is another horror movie that we can’t forget about. I am not talking about the remade versions, by the way, but the original film from 1980. This movie has you at the edge of your seat because you’re rooting for the characters to not be killed throughout the entire movie! You hope your favorite characters stay alive, but their chances always seem unlikely. The movie is filled with suspense and terror, which is why it’s a must watch for Halloween!

Lindsay Mikrut

Illinois State

Megan Lawler

Illinois State