This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I used to be so ashamed by the fact that I couldn’t have beautiful tan skin in the summer like my other friends can. I’m not even kidding when I say I would sit outside in the sun with no sunscreen on for hours to try and catch a tan, but ended up just frying my skin. Not one of my smarter life choices, I’ll admit! However, as I got older, I realized that my pale skin is beautiful and I need to take care of it to keep it that way! Since I’ve learned how to be comfortable in my own skin (literally), I’ve learned amazing tips and tricks to keep my skin looking fresh! 

1. Girl, Wash Your Face! 

I know… Cheesy. It’s true, though! If you wash your face every day (especially if you wear makeup) you are more likely to have clear skin and walk into the day feeling more confident! I wash my face with Philosophy’s face wash called Purity. It makes my face feel so soft and clean! I also use my Foreo, which is kind of like a Clarisonic, to apply the face wash all over my face. 

2. Wear Sunscreen

This one is kind of obvious, especially if you have fare skin like me. Wearing sunscreen protects your skin from the sun’s UV rays and prevents skin cancer and wrinkles! I know us pale girls want to tan so bad, but as soon as you accept the fact that you most likely won’t, sunscreen will be your best friend! Your skin will be looking as good as it does now when you’re 50 and you’ll be very thankful! I usually wear Sun Bum’s sunscreen because it smells like coconuts and bananas. I usually try to stick in the 30 to 50 SPF range. 

3. Use a Moisturizing Primer 

If you were makeup most days like me, a moisturizing primer is key! It helps keep your skin hydrated and moisturized all while preparing for your daily makeup routine! Lately, I’ve been using Tarte’s Base Tape Hydrating Primer, but in the past, I’ve also used brands like SmashBox and Maybelline. 

4. Wear That Cute Summer Hat! 

I love big, floppy sun hats! Not only are they cute and stylish, but they also protect you from the sun. It’s a win-win in my opinion. If you’re not feeling the floppy hat, rock a ball cap! Either way, you’re protecting your skin while be stylish at the same time. 

5. Wear Complementary Colors 

Sometimes it’s hard to find an outfit that doesn’t completely wash us out. When it comes to clothes, if you have pink undertones like me, stay away from lighter colors like pink or yellow. Darker colors will make your eyes pop and your skin look brighter! However, when it comes to makeup, go for those lighter colors! Those will make your eyes pop, as well! Here’s an example of one of my casual outfit and makeup looks! 

To all of my pale girls out there…. be confident and rock your fair skin! Once you feel confident in your own skin, you’ll be unstoppable. Just think…. We’ll be looking 20 when we’re 80 (at least a girl can dream)! 

HCXO,

Alyssa

Alyssa Ginzburg

Illinois State '22

Hi! I'm Alyssa Ginzburg and I'm a Senior at ISU & I'm studying Middle Level Education! I love writing, fashion, and all things women empowering, which makes Her Campus the perfect environment to share my voice! Check out my Instagram and Twitter if you want to know more! :) Instagram: @alyssaginzburg Twitter: @AlyssaRhea1
Contributor account for Illinois State