This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s almost summertime! School is winding down, but finals week is approaching, which is one of the most important (and stressful) weeks of the semester. I know I’ve been struggling with productivity lately. I’m taking my online classes from the comfort of my own home and truly am ready for a change of pace. Here I’ve comprised a list of tips that’ll help you (and me) stay on track for having a productive day at home.

Create a To-Do List

If you know me, you know that I love making lists. This is a great way to stay focused throughout the day. I tend to make a daily and weekly one to help with organization. By using a list, I am better prepared for the week and make sure to stay on top of my schoolwork. This is great for reminders, writing down your work schedule, club meeting times and so on. Be sure to include the smaller and more fun tasks such as getting lunch with a friend or going to grab a coffee before class.  

Make your bed

This has been a life-changer for having a productive day. It’s easy to lay back in bed throughout the day if your bed isn’t made – but the opposite goes for when your bed is put together. Not only will this prevent you from jumping back into bed, having a made bed often will make the space around you seem bigger and cleaner. Try to get into the habit of doing this small task every morning – you’ll be surprised how quickly it becomes a habit. 

Break down the bigger tasks

Whether you have schoolwork or anything for your job, try to do that as soon as possible. If you are a procrastinator, this might not be what you want to hear, but trust me when I say there is nothing better than knowing you completed the important tasks for the day. For example, knowing I submitted my assignments allows me to feel relaxed and truly enjoy my free time. If I know I have a paper to write that’s due at midnight, I won’t be relaxed. Do what works best for you, but if you’re looking for a way to be more productive this is a great option!

Get ready for the day

I’ve been struggling with this one, especially during the pandemic. However, I feel better and more productive when I take the time to get ready for my day. Wearing cozy sweatpants versus jeans makes all the difference in the world (at least for me anyway). Try to take the time to prepare yourself for the day ahead. Not only will you look and feel better, but getting ready can serve as a moment of self-care to start off the day.

Lessen your screen time

Have you recently checked your screen time on your phone? You would be surprised to find out what seems like an hour or two on your phone may be several hours. I’m not suggesting stopping completely, but try setting reminders on apps or creating that screen-free time in the morning or late at night. I have a reminder on Instagram that alerts me when I’ve been on for 20 minutes, which means I no longer need to be on there for the rest of the day. It’s important to take the time away from the screen, especially considered the majority of us students are on the computer all day for class, homework and studying.  

Move your body

This is my favorite way to feel productive. Whether you go on a walk or do an intense workout, try to take the time to get your body moving. The weather is finally starting to warm up which is perfect for being outdoors. I cannot stand sitting at my desk all day for school, so I use a workout or walk as my break. Be sure to take breaks when you can! When I give myself that time away from my schoolwork I feel more productive when it’s time to sit back down and work.

It’s great being at home but at times it can be easy to slip into lazy habits and you may find yourself being not productive. I recommend trying one of these options, or several if you’re feeling in need of a boost of productivity. Being productive also helps with mental health and will be extremely valuable as we finish out the semester. As always, remember to take care of yourself! 

Lynn Merigold

Illinois State '23

Lynn graduated from Illinois State University, where she was a contributing writer, chapter editor/president, and member of the Campus Trendsetters community. When she’s not teaching, you can find her spending time with family/friends, attending a fitness class, or listening to an audiobook!
Contributor account for Illinois State