This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the semester in full swing, things are getting crazy. I compiled a list of tips that are sure to help you take your notes to the next level!

Hand Write Notes

Taking handwritten notes is one of the tips I LIVE by. It has been proven that you learn and remember more if you write out notes. As you copy down notes, you are repeating the most important parts of lectures and readings. It’s like going over class material a second time!

Color Code

81LTQHfdolL AC SL1500?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Amazon

Color coding is a great tool for memory! Personally, I assign each class a different color. This helps me stay organized and keep each class separate in my brain. When I go to study for an exam, I focus on one class and one color at a time. Most of the time when I think of that color I even remember writing out the notes!

listen to classical music

I know this might sound crazy, but listening to classical music is a great way to focus. With classical music, you can enjoy the sound of music as you write out notes. If you are listening to conventional music while notetaking you have to focus harder to process what you are writing down versus what you are hearing. Trust me, if you switch to classical music for notetaking, you will see a dramatic shift in your focus.

light a candle

I don’t know about you, but for me, I can not study in a place that does not smell good. A simple thing like lighting a candle is the perfect step I need to take good notes. It does more than just make the room smell good. It also helps to calm nerves! Sometimes all you need for a study boost is a calming candle. I suggest the stress relief scent from Bath and Body Works!

take a break

The most important thing to remember when taking notes is to take a break! Notetaking is a long, time-consuming task that can drain you. It’s okay to take breaks! In fact, it’s better for you to take breaks because once you get back to your work you will be well rested and ready to take in all of the important information!

Anyone who is in school knows the importance of notetaking. By taking your notes to the next level, you will be able to learn so much more!

Dani Hartmann

Illinois State '24

Hi! My name is Dani and I am a sophomore at Illinois State. I am currently double majoring in Public Relations and Political Science with a minor in Economics. I am so excited to be a writer for HerCampus and can't wait to share my articles! Feel free to follow me on social media: Instagram: dani.ellemh Facebook: Danielle Marie Tiktok: dani.ellemh