The things you don’t know about condoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

It’s no secret that condoms come in different shapes, sizes, and even colors. The question is which ones are the best and why?

The answer to that is different for everyone depending on what works best for you and your partner.

There are four different shapes that condoms can be made into. Most have a reservoir tip, although some have a plain tip. Condoms that are regular shaped have straight sides, while form fit condoms are indented below the head of the penis. Condoms can also be flared which means they are wider over the head of the penis. Ribbed condoms are textured with ribs or bumps, which can increase sensation for both partners.

Condoms also come in different sizes depending on what brand you choose to buy. There is no standard length for condoms, but condoms made of natural rubber will always stretch more if necessary to fit the length of an erect penis. So when in doubt, go for condoms made of natural rubber.

When it comes to flavored condoms, there are Lifestyles Luscious Flavors, Trustex Assorted Flavors- Non Lubricated, Durex Tropical Flavors, and much, much more. These three brands alone come with several different flavors which range from $5.95 to $7.95 for a 12 pack. 

Maybe you are in the mood to mix things up?! There are many condoms that are a little out of the ordinary. You can purchase Night Light Glow in the dark condoms, or pick some up for free on campus as the G-spot. Not only can you get flavored condoms but you can also get edible condoms that are also flavored. Many condoms come with extra stimulants, such as Impulse Condoms to increase pleasure during sex.

Additionally, people can now personalize their own condoms with logos and pictures. Unbelievable?… We thought so too. But at http://www.condomdepot.com/logo-condoms.cfm, customers can order condoms that can be printed with their own messages right on one of the quality condoms. Stated on the website it said, “These kick ass condoms are great for Fraternities, Bachelorette Parties, and most any business. We have printed for Bands, Bail Bond Companies, Pizza Restaurants, Bars, Night Clubs, Universities and just about every other business type out there.” Try it for yourself!

Other things that we found strange is that there are condoms out there with Obama’s face on them, tuxedo looking condoms,
a whiskey or coffee flavored condom, spray on condoms, designer condoms and even ones made out of lambskin!

For any additional information, visit Student Health Services or a local pharmacy to get your questions answered. Not all websites can be reliable, so always be careful!

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.