Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Things I Wish I Knew Before Going to Community College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“When is your move in date?” “Have you found a roommate yet?” “Can you believe we are finally leaving this place?” 

These are only a few of the many questions I constantly heard and was asked during my senior year of high school. Of course, I knew these questions were harmless, but no one ever stopped to think that maybe the immense amounts questions did not apply to everyone graduating. I had no move in date, I had no roommate, and I was not leaving my hometown. Instead, I stayed at home and went to community college before I transferred to Illinois State University. 

During my eighth grade year, I planned on going to my community college straight out of high school and transfer to ISU after. I knew I wanted to save money, hence the community college, and I knew I wanted to go into education, hence ISU, one of the best universities in Illinois for education majors. So, when all of my friends were stressed with college applications, I didn’t bat an eye. That wasn’t until everyone started talking about the different places they were moving, and asking where I was going. With that being said, if I could go back and talk to my senior year self, there are a few things I would tell her before starting community college. 

The first thing I wish I knew was the stigma surrounding community college. When I would explain my post-grad plans to people, I got used to the looks of sympathy. I was asked if I had tried applying to any “real” colleges, as if I was only going to community college because I couldn’t get in anywhere else. Despite always exceeding in school, I had my intelligence questioned, but learned to remain confident with the path I was choosing.

I quickly realized that I would have moments of insecurity and uncertainty about the situation. I wish I had known that the first couple of months at community college would have some serious moments of FOMO. I watched as everyone I knew left to start new chapters of their lives in new places. I was starting a new chapter as well, but it felt like time was standing still, because I was in the same place I had always been. I listened to the stories my friends shared about their newfound freedom and “college experiences” as I drove to and from my college classes each week. Behind my excitement for them was a sliver of envy for the new places and friends I felt I was missing out on.  

Despite some tough moments, the main thing I wish I knew was how I would not have a single regret by the end of my time at community college. Yes, I would face some judgement and have moments of doubt, but I saved thousands of dollars, gained an immense amount of independence, and developed my own version of an irreplaceable “college experience”. The sole purpose that drove my decision to stay home for the first two years was to save money, and now that I am at a four-year university, my appreciation for that decision has only grown. Yes, I will still have student loans to pay off, but not nearly as much as I would have if I came straight to Illinois State out of high school. Aside from the financial benefits, my independence as an individual developed more than it ever could have. I learned to love doing things on my own and understand that I do not need to be surrounded by people to know that I have plenty of support in my corner. Most importantly, I received two years of a great education full of amazing memories. Memories filled with countless visits to friends at their universities, many nights spent with family, a semester abroad, and a lot of time that I unapologetically filled with enjoying my own company. 

The idea that the “college experience” needs to be the best four years of your life living on a campus is great, but that does not mean that it is the only way to do it. There is no correct way to “do college”. The “college experience” is going to be anywhere you go because you are the one who is making it for yourself.  

So, to my younger self, the decision to go to community college turned out great despite its ups and downs. 

Samantha Garcia

Illinois State '25

Hi! My name is Samantha and I am currently a junior at Illinois State University majoring in English Education. I have always enjoyed English due to there never being just one "correct" answer. I love how what you takeaway from a reading or how you approach writing is unique to each individual. As I move forward towards becoming an English teacher, I continue to look for opportunities to build my own ELA skills, and writing for Her Campus is a fun and unique opportunity to do that!