This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

So, you’re about to graduate from high school … exciting, but scary. An abundance of questions is probably plaguing your mind: Am I going to be homesick? How will I make friends? Is college actually that much harder than high school, or were my high school teachers exaggerating? And that’s just to name a few thoughts, I’m sure there are a bunch more.  

But have no fear, as a soon-to-be college graduate, here are my top three tips and tricks I’ve found along the way that will hopefully help ease your mind.

Use your planner

You may have had one in high school but never used it, or maybe you just never had one at all. Well, I’m here to tell you that you’re absolutely going to need one in college. Professors in college aren’t like high school teachers — they don’t hold your hand through every assignment by reminding you when everything is due. Because of this, writing down the due dates for all of your assignments in all of your classes based on their syllabi will help you stay organized and on time, benefitting you greatly in the long run.  

Communicate with your professors

I know, I know. My own mom would repeatedly preach, “Don’t be afraid to go to your professor’s office hours, they have them for a reason,” to me before arriving at college. And guess what? I didn’t listen until the end. But I mean it when I say: your professors really are there to help you. Whether you need further help with the course’s content, want to begin networking or even just need someone to listen, your professors will be there. I’ve not only improved my comprehension of class material and thus achieved higher grades but have gained opportunities and experiences I never would have had if I had not talked with my professors. So, don’t hesitate to reach out.

Learn how to balance your social life and school

Everyone knows college means fun; you’re finally getting that first taste of freedom. It can be easy to fall into the never-ending excitement of college and begin to neglect why you’re there in the first place … to learn. Because of this, be mindful of how you’re spending your time. College is short, so make sure you allow yourself time to have fun while also saving time to strive for success.

College is a time of self-exploration, independence and a whole lot of fun. It’s an adjustment for sure, so don’t make it harder on yourself than it has to be. Just remember to use your planner, communicate with your professors and learn how to balance your social life with school and you’ll be golden — and maybe find some of your own tips and tricks along the way that can help you as these have helped me.

Alexa Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Alexa is a recent journalism graduate of Illinois State University and current student at NYU's Summer Publishing Institute. She has been a contributing writer since 2021 and our Junior Editor since 2022. Follow her on Instagram @alexafricilone