Things I Have Learned From Student Teaching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Things I’ve learned from student teaching so far…

In case you were wondering, I am an English Education major here at Illinois State University and my graduation date awaits this spring. I started my student teaching journey in January and I will be continuing to gain experience in the classroom for the rest of the semester before earning my degree. Although it has not been very long since I started student teaching, it is easy to recognize the hard work it entails. In this article, I will begin to write about the aspects I have already picked up and acquired for my future career in teaching high school English.

1. As a college student, I forgot how long school days were: it’s tiring. Truly, I do not think going to college has prepared me for not only work, but in my case, going back to high school. Whilst I am a big supporter of college and attending a university, it did not prepare me for the reality of a “working” day. I love college for its carefreeness and personal schedule planning. You truly get a say in what you take, what interests you, and designing your schedule. But the downside of that is developing habits that do not prepare one for what a job entails. In all fairness, not all jobs are the same, but most do require long work-filled days. Therefore, having two classes at 11:00am and 3:35pm made the jump back into an 8-3 school day a difficult routine to adjust to. Unfortunately, I have given myself a very hard time having difficulty adjusting to this routine. I then try to give myself grace with the new norm of waking up every day at 6:00am, leaving at 7:00am and driving 45 minutes to school by 8:00am. While ending school roughly around 3:30pm and getting home closer to 4:30pm. There are two types of teachers: the ones that come to school early to get work done and the teachers that stay late and get work done after school. I’ve asked myself how I did this for four years, and I have been pushing myself to not be so tired after school. In reality, I fell out of this type of routine being in college, but I still know I can do it. I try to give myself grace as I harshly ask why I haven’t seemed to be adjusted to it quite yet, but I am only on week 3/4 of this long journey ahead and I know I will become better adjusted with time and kindness to myself.
  2. This is such a new and diverse generation: norms, language, technology etc. Although, age wise, I am not much older than my students, I can quickly see the differences, development and consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic in my students. I grew up in a generation where we certainly used technology, but not as much as it is normalized now. When I used chrome books in school, I checked them out for the period. Now, in the school I’m in, students have their own laptops. Even though this is useful and efficient, it is a different generation to adjust to. It is funny as well to see the difference in how students talk nowadays. As language and slang is always changing, it makes me laugh that I am at an age where I can easily understand the language and slang they speak, and pick up what they are saying. It is a blessing and a curse you could say. It truly feels so similar, yet completely different.
  3. Having Your Own “Me” Time: Personal and Self-care is Essential. After standing and talking all day, I have found that my social battery runs low very easily once I leave the school building. I have been very tired when coming home from the school day. Because of this, I have tried to give myself grace as I adjust to this new schedule. Trying to incorporate “me” time is very important to add with a busy schedule. I can’t say I do this everyday, because some days simply consist of, school, home, grading, laundry, gym, dinner/make lunch, and/or activities I’m involved in, and next thing I know, my day is over. I manage and try to get ahead of my schedule, and the weekends especially, I get my extra sleep, take nice warm showers, watch a show, and light a candle. I have been listening to podcasts on my drives to and from school as well and I have been enjoying that quiet time during my day. I am still trying to incorporate and find more ways to take care of myself, but as it is still my first month within student teaching, it is a task I am still trying to master.
  4. The Relationships Built with the Students is the Most Rewarding Part. This was the aspect I always knew would be the best and most rewarding of my student teaching experience and future career. But as I’m seeing it in real time, I watch it actually grow and blossom into action. It is truly the most rewarding part of my day. While everything else I do is absolutely exhausting, this is something I try to appreciate when finding the little things each day. It goes from simply a student saying hi to me in the hallway, preferring my help with work, simply talking to me in passing hours, and even asking me to apply for a job at their school to stay. It all makes my day. When I first entered, I felt a bit shy and timid, as many would be. I knew I had to become not only comfortable, but a consistent face in the classroom for students to become familiar and comfortable with. Seeing these relationships bloom within my first month is a rewarding gift and it makes me very happy to see. I know that it can only grow from here as well. I truly hope I have made at least one student’s day so far while being at this high school.

Student teaching is a lot. Balancing an unpaid, basically full-time job, a school life, as well as self-care can be a lot. But I know this experience will only make me better. Therefore, here are the tips and things I have learned so far from my first month that I wanted to share with you. 

Lexi Jurkus

Illinois State '24

Hi, I am Lexi Jurkus. I am an English Teacher Education major at Illinois State University. I have loved writing since I was young, writing is like therapy to me. Therefore, I wanted to open myself up to the opportunity to try different ways to expand my writing!