The First Snow At Illinois State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The first snow. There are so many hidden meanings behind what the first snow symbolizes. The first snow might mean a fresh start, a new outlook on the world, a symbol of seasons changing right before your eyes. Snow might also mean coldness, ice, slippery sidewalks, scraping your car off after a cold day, frustration, and much more. Whatever snow may mean to you, I encourage you to think about it as a new start.

As I am sitting in a cold classroom while snow is falling and it is around 20 degrees Fahrenheit, I understand how difficult it is to be a college student in the winter. We are expected to go outside and brace the cold, and it is especially difficult for me at the moment, because I made the mistake of not bringing my winter gear to school before Thanksgiving break. I have talked to many friends about the weather, and it is interesting to see what people have to say about it. Some people love it, some people hate it. The new snow on the ground has caused a sense of conflict amongst college students.

I used to love the cold. I used to prefer being cold over being warm, and I still do, but I do not resent the heat as much as I once did. I used to be passionate about the mountains over beach debate, but as I have gotten older, I enjoy going to warm places to catch a break from the cold Illinois weather.

Some people enjoy the aspects of life that come with winter, like, Christmas, dark colors, thick blankets and sweaters, and warm drinks. I can say that I have enjoyed this characteristic of winter, especially the warm drinks. People around campus have been carrying around their festive holiday cups and big coats to keep warm from the traditional never ending Illinois winter.

If you’re struggling to find happiness in the winter time, or if you’re extremely happy about the snow, make sure you take time for yourself with your friends, family, or by yourself. ‘Tis the season!

Jillian Groot

Illinois State '24

My name is Jillian Groot and I am a senior English education major with an Italian studies minor at Illinois State University.