“The Take Over, The Breaks Over”: Fall Out Boy to End 3 Year Hiatus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Pictured: Members of Fall Out Boy burning the band’s old records where Comiskey Park once stood on the morning of February 4th—making a statement of what is to come

Welcome, it’s here.

A little bird back home told me about 2 months ago of an underground Fall Out Boy reunion show in the works, and I’ll tell you—I was skeptical, yet “hopelessly hopeful.”  The boys had been on hiatus for 3 years now, but something was stirring up.  Property Of Zack  was the first source to proclaim the band putting an end to the 3 year standstill, urging readers to be on the lookout for an official statement in the upcoming weeks.  On February 3rd, POZ and Chicago’s Underground Alternative radio station, Q87.7, tweeted about a major announcement that would take place on the station at 8 A.M. the following morning.  This resulted in even more buzz among the pop-punk scene as everyone was all over social media anticipating said “surprise.” 

Once morning hit, rumors were put to rest by Fall Out Boy themselves, and the hiatus had officially ended.  The band released a new single (My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark [Light Em Up]) and announced a world tour for upcoming album “SAVE ROCK AND ROLL” (release date set for May 6th).  Check out the video, fellow music junkies, as it displays much hidden sarcasm and foreshadowing of Fall Out Boy’s take on today’s music (note 2 Chainz kidnapping the band and torching their previous records) and what they want to evolve into.

Through Q87.7, Fall Out Boy officially unveiled an exclusive hometown show in Chicago at the Subterranean literally 12 hours before it began.  Tickets for this sudden event went on sale an hour after all announcements [9 A.M.], selling out in less than a minute.  Considering the band’s level of popularity and having played for crowds of thousands before, a secret show at a venue that holds the maximum of 375 people was a huge treat.  The band made it clear that they wanted to play it like a gig back in the day, front man/bassist Pete Wentz later referring to it as the “best kept secret” (definitely not the biggest mistake).  “Today is kind of a big deal. We did not expect this,” said lead vocalist Patrick Stump in regards to the uproar of nostalgic fans.

Pictured: Vocalist Patrick Stump

With the help of my best friend, some connections from back home, and endless persistence I was lucky enough to be guest listed at the last minute for the show. In haste, I got myself to the city and in line with the rest of the freezing fans, not caring about my dreaded 9 A.M. class the following day.  Hoards of devoted fans stood ticketless in desperation to get into the intimate club setting.

The 2 hour long show opened with Infinity On High hit “Thriller” as Wentz dove into the crowd within minutes.  This set the tone for what was nothing less than an incredible music experience.  Having been their first show together in 3 years, the air was filled with nerves and excitement, Stump jokingly comparing it to “his first time all over again.”

The room dripped in sweat while the crowd moshed and surfed to hits such as “Dance, Dance” and “Sugar,We’re Goin Down”  (collectively doing the notorious tongue lick salute, of course).  Thrusts of fists were high in the air for “This Ain’t A Scene, It’s An Arms Race”, claps for “A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More ‘Touch Me’”, and emotional chants for our own national anthem “Grand Theft Autumn/Where Is Your Boy” from their first debut album Take This To Your Grave

Although my personal favorite will always be “Tell That Mick You Made My List Of Things To Do Today,” the most amazing part was the mash up collection of songs typically never played, ranging from their first debut mini LP from 2002 until recent albums.  They sang bits of “Honorable Mention”, “America’s Suitehearts”, “Lake Effect Kid”, “Alpha Dog”, and “Calm Before The Storm” which was an unexpected surprise to all.

“Take a snapshot of this moment in your head, don’t let them tell you how it was, remember how it was for you,” said Wentz (pictured) in regards to critics and internet media

The boys did their classic cover of Michael Jackson’s “Beat It” and encored with “Chicago Is So Two Years Ago”, “Thnks fr th Mmrs” and “Saturday.”  Members of the audience jumped on stage for the final song, screaming their hearts into the microphone with the band.  Throughout the performance there was a constant energy and connection with the audience.  The show ended successfully leaving the crowd sweaty, bruised, and anxious for the next appearance. which will be May 14th. Ttickets for that show go on sale this Friday.

Pictured: Patrick (Stump) left and Pete (Wentz) right

In my opinion, I think we have much to look forward to from this band.  It was amazing to be a part of such a confined experience with people who understood and appreciated what was happening.  Fall Out Boy had an immense influence on this music scene, and seeing them back home in their element was unforgettable.  I have watched them grow from my angsty pre-teen years until now, and they never cease to surprise me with their wit and 15-word-long song titles.  Stump’s vocals have only improved with age, as has Joe Trohman’ s fro.  Fall Out Boy seems to be moving on from the guyliner and side swept hair, but still remaining true to their roots. This hometown show was no slump, but indeed a comeback of the year.

The setlist I was able to snatch at the end of the show

Added note: excuse the shakiness in the videos/Iphone quality. As a girl who is 5”1’ I do what I can as bodies are flailing at me.