This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Depression and suicide is a topic people should not take lightly. Suicide is one of the top 10 causes for death and mortality in the United States, taking the lives of around 30,000 Americans a year.  That means nearly every 13 minutes someone in the country dies from suicide.

Today, we see reports and news stories of people committing suicide often. We hear about people who are so racked with stress and sadness that they end their own life, no longer being able to believe that things will get better. There are more than 811,000 attempted suicides each year, most happening during the spring season. With the seasons soon beginning to shift, it is important to get information about depression and suicide out to the public eye.

If you are dealing with depression, the strongest risk factor for suicide, it is important to know that things do get better. As someone diagnosed with severe depression from a young age, I can be the first person to tell you that getting help for yourself can make a world of difference in your life. Asking for help and admitting something is wrong is hard and emotional, but in the end, it can save your life. Dealing with a medical problem by yourself is not something anyone should ever have to experience, or more importantly be ashamed of. There are many ways to help you cope with depression or sadness you may be feeling, and research proves that medication and therapy are extremely effective in suicide prevention.

Do not think you have to be diagnosed with depression in order to be suicidal. Some people feel there is no way out of a current problem or situation, and that ending their life is the only option. Stress in our lives can get so extreme, especially when we are young and learning to deal with new forms of it. It comes as no surprise that suicide is the third leading cause of death for those ages 15-24. If you are not diagnosed with depression and are experiencing suicidal tendencies, it is just as important for you to reach out and get help, too.

If you are feeling depressed or suicidal:

If you need help right away, call The National Suicide Prevention Hotline at:

1-800-273-TALK (8255)

If you feel more comfortable talking online, go to: http://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx#sthash.02mS7CPx.dpuf

This site offers online confidential crisis help from 2pm to 2am eastern time.

Talking to your doctor about therapy and medical options is also a way to help guarantee your long term health and stability if you are feeling depressed, extremely overwhelmed, or suicidal.

If you think someone you know may be feeling suicidal, it is very important to reach out to them and do your best to try to help them, too. Suicidal tendencies are not always direct or visibly apparent. Someone thinking about suicide or who is feeling suicidal can keep the fact that they are feeling this way a secret to everyone around them. However, around 90% of people who have committed suicide showed warning signs before their death. Common traits of someone feeling depressed and suicidal include the following:

●     Talking about suicide

●     Seeking out lethal means (such as guns or knives)

●     Having a preoccupation of death

●     Feeling helpless, hopeless, or trapped

●     Expressing their belief that nothing will get better or change in the future

●     Self-loathing

●     Making a will or giving away prized possessions

●     Withdrawing from others

●     Self-destructive behavior

●     Sudden sense of calm

All suicidal traits should be taken very seriously. Speak up if you are worried about someone.

If you know someone who is thinking about suicide, call 1-800-273-8255 to find resources available in your area to help someone else, and encourage them to call the lifeline themselves.

Suicidal traits may not always be expressed in person. If you or hear or view anyone performing one or more of the following acts online, they may be suicidal and need help:

○     Writing  about wanting to die or to kill oneself.

○     Writing about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.

○     Writing about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.

○     Writing about being a burden to others.

○     Writing about seeking revenge.

It is so important that people witnessing these suicidal tendencies not just be a bystander at a computer. Clicking one of the links below could potentially save someone’s life.

Report someone as suicidal on Facebook, Twitter, or Tumblr:

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/?id=305410456169423

The link above lets you report someone as suicidal anonymously.

https://support.twitter.com/forms/general

http://www.tumblr.com/help

AND/OR message them with the Suicide Hotline number:

1-800-273-8255

Every life is important. If you or someone you know is expressing suicidal tendencies, it is imperative that you get help as soon as possible. Ending a life is a permanent decision that affects anyone involved.

More extensive and specific suicide prevention and help links can be found at: http://lostallhope.com/links

Rebecca Davis

Illinois State

New writer for HerCampus at Illinois State University
Alexandria Jenkins

Illinois State