Style > Fashion

Spice Up Your Cold-Weather Wardrobe with These 5 Fabulous Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the changing seasons comes the transitioning of wardrobes.  If you’re looking for ways to change up last year’s pieces with a new sense of style, stick around to find out a few of my favorite tips! 

1. Layering Dresses

Have a favorite dress that you’re dreading putting away for the winter?  Keep it in your closet!  Layering a turtleneck or your favorite long sleeve top underneath dresses can turn them into a pinafore! Alternatively, if the dress doesn’t fit or sit well with a shirt layered underneath, grab your favorite sweater and layer it on top to turn the dress into an adorable skirt!

2. Colored Tights

Of course, with dresses come cold legs in autumn and winter.  If you’re tired of the same pair of tights underneath every skirt, colored tights add a splash of color to your look while also adding extra coverage and warmth during chilly weather!  If you’re an all-black outfit aficionado, patterned lace tights add great texture and pattern to your monochrome look. However, if you’re always finding yourself cold (like me) and your tights aren’t supplying a sufficient amount of warmth for you, all is not lost!  If you find a pair of nude, opaque, fleece-lined tights you can wear them underneath the other pair of tights for an extra undetectable layer.

3. Cute socks

If you’re not a fan of tights, long socks can be a great alternative! They’re super warm, come in countless fun colors and patterns and you can choose the length that you like best!  Calf-length socks are great to add a pop that peeks out between the top of your favorite pair of boots and the cuffs of rolled-up jeans.  Knee-high and thigh-high socks pair great with your favorite sweater dress or skirt.

4. Thrifting

Thrift stores can be intimidating, but this time of year is my absolute favorite for my thrifting!  At the change of the seasons, many people will be cleaning out their closets as they bring out their cold-weather wardrobe.  This means there will be lots of new donations to your local thrift stores. Additionally, cold temperatures mean layering, which can add up in price. Thrifting is a great way to find inexpensive layering pieces like turtlenecks, outerwear and cute vintage sweaters!

5. Accessorizing

Many people’s go-to chilly day outfit is their favorite sweater, a pair of jeans, and boots. This is definitely a cute staple, but try branching out with accessories to spice up your look!  If you’re a fan of jewelry but aren’t sure how to style it, layering necklaces with different lengths adds texture and sparkle.  If you’re all about the warm and cozy vibes, don’t be afraid of hats. Beanies are a classic, but berets are a super cute and often overlooked option!

Fashion has always been one of my favorite vehicles for self-expression, and the return of comfy fashion season always inspires me. So, I hope these tips have sparked a new sense of creativity and inspiration for your own wardrobe! 

Sonny Crull

Illinois State '23

Hi! My name is Sonny Crull, I am a Senior at Illinois State, and I'm majoring in Interpersonal Communications with a minor in Music! As a writer, I aim to use my voice and platform through Her Campus to share fun, engaging, and relatable content.