Snow White: Famous Story With Dark Past

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

The Disney stories we know and love do not depict the whole story. The fairy tales have been changed and rewrote many times, and most of them  come from a dark past. An example of this that I am going to talk about is “Little Snow White,” by the Grimm’s Brothers, which was first published in 1812. Another example of this is ABC’s show “Once Upon A Time”, which takes Disney fairytales, Grimm’s Fairy Tales, and then puts more twists on how their story is told. Here are several areas that show the difference between “Once Upon A Time” , Disney stories, and the Grimm Brother’s story.

Who the Evil Queen is to Snow White? In Disney and “Once Upon A Time,” the Evil Queen is Snow White’s step-mother. In the Grimm Brothers story, the evil queen is Snow White’s own mother.

Why does the Evil Queen hate Snow White? In the Grimm Brothers story and Disney, the evil queen hates Snow White because Snow White is fairer than the Evil Queen and she doesn’t like this. In “Once Upon A Time,” the viewers get more of the story behind Snow White and the Evil Queen’s relationship. The Evil Queen knows Snow White from a young age and doesn’t have any hatred for Snow White until Snow White tells a secret to the Evil Queen’s mother. The secret was that the Evil Queen has a different true love and is planning on running away together. When Snow White tells the Evil Queen’s mother the secret, the Evil Queen’s mother kills the Evil Queen’s true love and the Evil Queen blames Snow White for this.

What does the Evil Queen have the Huntsman bring back to her? What does the Huntsman actually bring back to the Evil Queen? In Grimm Brothers’ story, the evil queen wants Snow White’s liver and lungs. The huntsman brings back a boar’s liver and lungs in place of Snow White’s. In the Disney tale and “Once Upon A Time,” the evil queen wants Snow White’s heart. In Disney, the huntsman brings back a pig’s heart and in “Once Upon A Time,” he brings back a deer’s heart.

How old is Snow White? In the Grimm Brothers Story and Disney, Snow White is only 14 years old. In “Once Upon A Time,” Snow White is in her 20’s.

How does the Evil Queen trick Snow White? In the Grimm Brothers story, the Evil Queen visits Snow White three times and tries to kill her. First time with a corset, second time with a poison comb, and last time with the famous poison apple. In Disney and “Once Upon A Time,” the evil queen only uses the poison apple to kill Snow White, but in “Once Upon A Time,” Snow knows what will happen when she bites the apple.

How is Snow White awoken? In Grimm Brothers, One of the Prince’s servants trip and the piece of the poison apple comes out of Snow White’s throat and she awakens. In Disney and “Once Upon A Time,” Snow White is awoken by a true loves kiss. The only difference between Disney and “Once Upon A Time,” is that in “Once Upon A Time,” Snow White and Prince Charming know each other before the true love kiss, while Disney’s Prince Charming happens to find Snow White dead.

What happens to the Evil Queen in the end of the story? In the Grimm Brother’s story, the Evil Queen is invited to the wedding and made to dance with hot iron shoes till she dies. In Disney, the evil queen falls to her death. In “Once Upon A Time,” the Evil Queen (through six seasons) redeems herself and is a hero in the current story line. 

Contributor account for Illinois State