Saweetie’s Musical Hiatus: What Happened?

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

“I just feel like nobody was caring about my music,” she said to Allure Magazine.

The 30-year-old female rapper, Saweetie (born Diamonté Quiva Valentin Harper) opens up about her past and current difficulties in the music industry. She hasn’t released an album for several years since her debut EP “High Maintenance” although she’s promised to years before to release one as soon as possible.

“To me, music is sacred. It’s coming from your spirit. You can’t just go finish an album in a week. That’s why it’s taking me so long. That’s why I haven’t dropped an album yet.”

Saweetie recently released a single in February called “Richtivities” and there’s an acapella version and an instrumental version. She also created an EP in early April along with this new song to what sources said is to promote the song. This EP is called “Pretty B**** Music: Been That Girl.” A few song titled in this EP are “Birthday,” “Bo$$ Chick,” and “Pretty & Rich.” However, the hopes for a new official album is in the works as Saweetie puts it, yet her performance since her break has been far from easy.

Saweetie is known for her hit songs “Icy Baby,” “My Type,” and “Tap In” which are hip-hop songs about living luxuriously, liking wealthy men, and grinding/working till you become rich, respectively.

She hasn’t released an official album for four years now despite her promises to release one as soon as possible. She released her first debut EP, “High Maintenance” in 2018; an album “Icy” in 2019; and she released a collaborative album “Pretty Summer Playlist: Season 1” in 2021. She also has been up and out with producing featured songs with other artists such as being in “All Night” with K-Pop group IVA, “Do It For The Bay” with artist P-Lo, and “Let’s Play a Game” with singer Anderson Paak and Rogét Chahayed. 

She hasn’t been completely out of the mix and continues to make a name for herself by putting herself out there collaborating with artists, but we do miss her unique voice and touch. She also has been partnering with other companies such as McDonalds and Tinder, so Saweetie definitely doesn’t feel like she is moving out of the spotlight. It’s just her music that she is currently figuring out.

The “boss b**** mentality” that Saweetie has always bragged about and carried to represent her brand was shaken while her career in music progressed. She tells Billboard magazine her confidence is on point as a woman in general yet when it comes to making music, her performance isn’t what she wants.

“I don’t mean to dampen the mood. But this is, realistically, how my career has been,” She told music critics.

“We were constantly criticized for every drop. I was just very insecure. I’m a confident woman, but I was a very insecure artist.” 

She even went on to tell people that she felt like “giving up” her music career and pursuing other passions.

“There’s been a lot of times these couple of years where I’ve given up on myself,” She adds. “Whether people knew about that or not, I just felt myself giving up, and I don’t want to do that anymore.”

With her newly released single “Richtivities” and new EP released in early April, Saweetie hopes to start fresh in her music career. No more insecurities or hesitations about who she is in the music industry. She wants to be better as an artist and improve her performance and voice.

Although Saweetie has seen some downfalls in her talent as an artist she continues to be open about appearing in public ensuring that everyone doesn’t forget her. What do you think of Saweetie as an artist? What about as an online personality? Give us your thoughts!

Aurora Quintero

Illinois State '24

Hi, my name is Aurora! I love to go on Tiktok and be on social media. I love traveling and want to do it more. I am an English major and Senior at Illinois State University. I love to go out to eat and explore new places. I love books, however, I don't read as much as I want to. I am extremely busy on the weekdays, but I love to relax and sometimes go out on the town with people and have fun.