Ranking 4 of Taylor Jenkins Reid’s Books

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s books have unique plots, characters, and settings. She knows how to build a world and encapsulate a reader in it. I have read four out of her eight novels. Two of those novels being her historical fiction type novels and the other two being her more modern romance novels. I will be ranking these four novels and giving my opinion on which Taylor Jenkins Reid books I’m interested in diving into next. 

1. Daisy Jones and the Six

I have written about this book previously and those who ask me about my favorite books know that this is one of my favorites. The concept of an orally told historical fiction book seems like such a hard concept to pull off; however, Reid pulls it off on multiple levels. The story follows a popular rock band from the 1970s called Daisy Jones and the Six. The characters recap the rise and fall of the band through interviews for a documentary. Reid perfectly paints a picture of the events in the characters’ lives as well as the retelling the events as well. Each character is flawed and annoying, but readers find a way to love each of them. The Amazon Prime Original tv show made me fall in love with the book, characters, and story even more. Even though the show didn’t stay true to all the plot points of the book, it was still very well done. I recommend that even those who haven’t read the book watch the show. Being able to actually watch the story unfold in front of me was rewarding as a reader. I give this book 5/5 stars!

1. One True Loves

This was the first non-historical fiction Taylor Jenkins Reid book that I read. Beforehand, I was worried about how she would be able to pull off a more modern romance novel. I was not disappointed though. I am not a big romance book reader; however, the story of this book isn’t like your normal romance. The story follows Emma Blair’s life as she must choose between her first husband, Jesse, who recently has reappeared after going missing in a helicopter accident years ago and her new fiancé, Sam, who gives her a second chance in life and love. Reid makes the choice hard for Emma and the readers. Anyone who is a fan of the television show Jane the Virgin should definitely pick up a copy of this book as there are some similarities between that show and this book. Overall, this book creates a tale of having to revisit the past, while also facing the future. I give this book 4.5/5 stars!

1. Maybe in Another Life

This is the most recent Taylor Jenkins Reid book I have dived into. Maybe in Another Life was a book I was very hesitant to read. I had such high opinions of Taylor Jenkins Reid, and for some reason I thought this book would ruin my praise for her. After reading the plot, I was worried that Reid wouldn’t be able to pull off the concept of the book, but once again, she did not disappoint. The book takes readers on two different journeys running parallel to each other. We see the different lives Hannah Martin could live depending on the choices that she makes. This book is truly well done as Reid once again throws the readers into a world with characters that may be frustrating, but you ultimately know what you want for them and hope that they find what they want. I give this book 4/5 stars!

1. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo 

This was my very first taste of the Taylor Jenkins Reid universe. I, like many others, heard about this book on TikTok and was intrigued by the plot. The book follows journalist Monique and famous actress Evelyn Hugo who appoints Monique to write her biography. Monique listens to Evelyn’s tales about her life as a celebrity and about her seven husbands. All of this leads to a twist near the end of the story and I think this book is a great start for readers to gain insight into the Taylor Jenkins Reid universe. Ultimately, this book gives readers a peak into Reid’s writing and character styles, but they will discover that Reid’s other works are superior compared to The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. The book is great and has many complex characters, but I think the plot is lacking in some areas that Reid’s other books excel in. Overall, I give this book 3.5/5 stars!

Taylor Jenkins Reid has created so many wonderful pieces of work. I’m really interested in reading Reid’s first novel Forever, Interrupted. The plot seems to match Reid’s storytelling and complex character tropes. Overall, I am excited to read more of her books and I cannot wait to see what she comes out with in the future.

Sarah Knowlton

Illinois State '24

Hi I'm Sarah! I am a junior at Illinois State and I am majoring in Human Development and Family Science! After I finish my bachelor's degree, I plan to get my master's degree in Human Development and Family Science as well. Besides writing, I like to read, watch TikToks, make art, and bake!