This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Taking on the world, one country at a time.

Olivia Onwodi is involved in more things than I can count on one hand. The 22-year old ISU senior, orginally fom Nigeria, has big plans for the future.

HC: How old were you when you moved to the states and what was that like for you?
Onwodi:My mom lived here for a couple years and eventually brought my siblings and me over. I was with my aunt and siblings in Nigeria. We moved when I was eight years old and I had to learn how to speak English because that was all the school allowed us to speak.

HC: When did you decide to come to ISU and what are you studying?
Onwodi:I transferred to ISU after studying at a junior college for two semesters. I chose ISU mostly because it is close to home. I’m a biology major with minors in chemistry and psychology. I currently work in Dr. Hitchcock’s chemistry research lab in organic chemistry. 

HC: What do you love most about your major?
Onwodi: I just love the environment. I’ve already been able to get involved in a lot such as working in Dr. Hitchcock’s chemistry lab and participating in the ERN Conference. The conference was in Washington, DC. It is an event where minorities from all over the country go to present the research they have been working on. I came in 1st place for the physical sciences portion, specifically, organic chemistry. I plan on attending once more before I graduate from ISU.

HC: What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?
Onwodi: This is my third semester as a RA (residents assistance), so I live in the Atkin-Colby resident hall. I also work for University Housing as night operation manager. In addition to my work in the resident halls, I am treasurer of the African Students Association.

HC: I heard you recently won the Miss Africa ISU Pageant! Tell me a little bit more about that.
Onwodi:It wasn’t a beauty pageant- specifically each contestant had their own country to represent. My country was Nigeria, so I had to research and represent my country through a power point presentation, question and answer portion, dance, fashion, and by raising money. It was a lot of fun!

HC: You are involved in so much! What’s the hardest part for you?
Onwodi: It gets difficult being a night operation manager because I get little sleep and sometimes my grades slip. But all of this is just to help me build networking skills and build connections because I know I will need the good relationships I establish to better my future. Overall I feel like I’m just a blessed person. Someway, somehow, I manage to get through everything.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.