Ode to Dry Shampoo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

A good head of hair is the secret to living a fabulous life. Most of the time when you’re looking for something exciting to do, when you need a healthy change, you shake up your hairstyle. It’s something that defines us as a person and gives us a confidence like no other. Good hair days are rare, and I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but it is a constant struggle to maintain decent looking hair 24/7. Either it’s bed head, hat head, or some extreme mix between the two. The one and only hair care product that I seem to need in order to make it through the week; especially at school is by far dry shampoo. It is the superhero of shampoos, it is the savior of my sins, and it is the best hair stylist on the planet. Here’s a thanks to dry shampoo in all my moments of hair desperation.

When I wake up late and have absolutely no time to physically shower.

For all the times my thin, flat hair just needed a little ounce of volume – you were there.

Thank you for fixing my fresh layer of sweat every single time I leave the gym. Every time.

You are so fun and easy to apply and I appreciate that about you as most things in this life are difficult and complicated. Shake. Spray. Brush. Your simplicity is stupendous.

When my ponytail revealed tiny spots of grease you were there to complete the rescue.

If hair failed to curl you helped the strands hold on a little longer.

You come from all of the best companies, from Dove to Herbal Essences, so we can all pick our favorite.

When I had to travel you even came in tiny travel sizes! Passing through security was a breeze with you in my bag and your contents in my hair. You are the mini hairy-god-mother from all of my fairy tale dreams!

Although I am blonde, and your ashy white residue mixes well with my hair color, you come in special shades for brunettes and red heads too. I adore your acknowledgement of diversity and ability to make every woman feel more powerful with her locks in the wind.

Here is to hair cares most epic invention of the 21st century – dry shampoo, I love you. A large fraction of my money never fails to go to you when I shop at target and I will be the first to support a new, modern musical called “Dry Shampoo” adapted from “Hairspray.” Here’s to the hair we have and the hair we do with products like dry shampoo! 

Katie Sall

Illinois State