This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the start of October, the weather finally starting to cool off, and it’s about time for cuffing season. And with that comes all sorts of fun autumn-themed dates. This is definitely my favorite time of year as someone who prefers to be cold rather than warm. If you and your significant other are lacking suggestions on what to do this autumn season, keep reading to spark some ideas for some of the best autumn date ideas.

apple Or Pumpkin picking

This classic autumn activity is one that will never get old. In my opinion, apple orchards are a little more fun to go to because you can hunt for apples while also eating any of them that look good. But whichever signature autumn food you go to pick, it’s bound to be accompanied by a corn maze, a hayride and somewhere to buy hot chocolate or apple cider. What makes this a great date is that it’s out in the fresh air and you’re paying for something you both can enjoy in the moment and afterward, not to mention all the great memories you can make.

Scary movie marathon

This date is a little more specific to those who enjoy the suspense and thrill of horror movies. Currently, my boyfriend and I are making our way through the entire universe of The Conjuring movies in timeline order, and I was ready to quit after the first one. But the best part about it is curling up on the couch together with three or four fuzzy blankets and hoards of snacks surrounding us, and falling into the world of ghosts and demons and exorcisms. If you and your significant other enjoy more tamer scary movies, the classic Halloweentown is one of my favorites to watch every autumn season.

Go to a haunted house

This one I wouldn’t say is my absolute favorite as there is a limit to how much horror I can take, but it’s still a good experience to be scared out of your skin with someone you love, knowing that it’s all harmless fun. There’s an endless amount of haunted houses that open up around Halloween, and I’ve even heard of haunted hikes where you traipse through a forest with a group of others, led by a tour guide that may or may not actually know how to get back. The most fun part is hearing just how loud your partner can scream, and then teasing them about it for weeks afterward.

shop at a farmer’s market

I love any kind of thrifting, shopping local and antique stores, so farmer’s markets are the perfect mix of all of those things. You can get fresh fruits, vegetables and other homemade, organically grown products to eat. Even if you don’t go to get food, it’s still worth it to check out the other items people can be selling, many of them being handcrafted jewelry or home decoration pieces you can’t get anywhere else. Most farmer’s markets typically are only open on Saturdays or Sundays early in the morning to mid-afternoon, so definitely set an alarm. You and your significant other can browse through the stalls together while also enjoying the crisp, autumn weather.

Have a bonfire

Bonfire season doesn’t only have to be during the summer. On a night where it’s not going to be too cold, grab some blankets and s’mores materials and make a raging bonfire that will keep you both warm. The best addition would also be mugs of hot chocolate or coffee to go along with the s’mores. Whether it’s just you and your partner or you’re with a group of friends, a bonfire can be the perfect way to start off the autumn season—just maybe not with a bang when it comes to starting a fire.

Even if you aren’t paired up with someone this autumn season, all of these activities would still be a blast to do with a group of friends or with your family. They’re a perfect way to kickstart spooky season, whether you like the softer or scarier side of October. One of the best parts about these dates is that they aren’t that expensive either, which is perfect if you’re on a budget!

There is no changing my mind that autumn is the best season for going on dates together. Winter? Too cold. Summer? Too hot. Autumn? The absolute Goldilocks time of year, so definitely take advantage of it while it lasts!

Grace Thompson

Illinois State '24

Hi! My name's Grace, and I am a sophomore at Illinois State University, studying Public Health and hoping to go into the epidemiology field. I am from Elgin, IL, about 45 minutes from Chicago. Some things I love are shopping, traveling, and playing with my dog while I'm at home. Joining Her Campus at ISU is something I am so happy that I did, because I met so many amazing girls and am able to write articles I am passionate about that will hopefully inspire others! Feel free to check out my Instagram if you'd like! @gracecthompsonn