My Take on Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour Concert Film”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Taylor Swift’s long-awaited The Eras Tour Concert Film was released on October 12, and its hype did not disappoint. The film, featuring her Eras Tour concerts occurring during the summer of 2023, was certainly a hit in theaters worldwide.

Personally, as a huge Swiftie, I bought tickets on the day the announcement was made about the film being released. The film was originally supposed to be shown in theaters beginning October 13, but on October 11, Taylor Swift announced that it would be shown a day early, on October 12. 

I saw the film on October 13th, and I would say it was not just a film, but an experience. As I arrived at the AMC Theater in Normal, Illinois, I walked in to see a crowd of fellow Swifties fully dressed in Eras Tour concert attire. Long lines of sparkly-clothing wearers filled the room, anxiously awaiting the theater-exclusive Taylor Swift merchandise of posters, popcorn tins, buckets, and cups. 

After obtaining my very own pieces of the film, I entered my theater to see a full Taylor Swift concert atmosphere. Fans were packed into their seats, trading friendship bracelets and complimenting each others’ outfits, which immediately made me feel at home. As someone who lost the Ticketmaster ‘Great War’ to see Taylor Swift in person, seeing her in The Eras Tour Concert Film felt like the next best thing.

During the film, I was blown away. The audio and visual quality were pristine, and it truly felt like I was attending a concert. After living vicariously through Eras Tour TikToks, seeing the concert in its entirety was mind-blowing. The attention to detail in the tour was incredible and extremely moving. I grew up listening to Taylor Swift as young as five years old, and seeing her perform those same songs, now in my twenties, was both bittersweet and nostalgic. I did not leave without shedding a few tears.

Between the outfits, facial expressions, transitions, speeches, and dance moves, I genuinely could not look away. The film-goers kept the movie engaging and entertaining, as well. They danced in their seats, singing along to the songs, and shouting out perfectly timed, iconic Eras Tour chants.
The Eras Tour Concert Film left me feeling enchanted. If you’re still reading and wondering whether you should watch Taylor Swift’s new film in theaters, I would say to “drop everything now,” and go see it while you can.

Paige Stolp

Illinois State '25

Hi, I'm Paige! I am a junior Middle Level Education major here at Illinois State with endorsements in science and English Language Arts. I enjoy being my own barista, cooking, watching sunrises and sunsets, and all things Taylor Swift!