This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As someone who grew up during the new technological era, it was easy for my childhood love of reading to be drowned out by the rise of smartphones, the internet, and social media. However, thanks to BookTok and my reading exposure as a Creative Writing major, I’ve been able to get back into my old reading habits and appreciate it more. Since getting back into reading, I’ve read a few books that I would rate 5-stars and that I would highly recommend to those who are looking to get back into reading or who just simply want some new recommendations. 

The Handmaid’s Tale

The first book is The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. This was one of the first books I read as I was getting back into reading, and I only read it because of a college class. Funnily enough, it ended up being one of my all time favorites. The Handmaid’s Tale is based on a futuristic, dystopian society where women are ultimately taken from their families, stripped of their rights, and forced into the possession of strange men as their “handmaids.” The novel follows one particular woman and the sort of enslavement she endures in a society without independence. This book has such a strong shock-factor that it summoned a plethora of emotions while I was reading it. While it is a scary read, since the likelihood of it happening is not impossible, it’s interesting to see how different life could be if the freedom we have now would somehow be taken away again. 

Verity

Verity by Colleen Hoover is a book that I read solely because I found it at Goodwill and had heard about it online, it quickly became one of my favorites. I think it took me only two days to read because I couldn’t put it down! If you’ve heard the speculation that Colleen Hoover books are cliche or poorly-written, just as I had, I urge you to give this book the chance nonetheless. The story is about a lesser-known author who is hired to finish a famous author’s book series when she is in an accident and unable to finish it herself. While working at the impaired author’s home, she discovers an autobiographical rough draft that unveils dark, life-changing secrets that explain who this strange famous author really is. This story is suspenseful, dark and twisted, and at times, stomach-churning, yet it left me wanting to read more. Verity is the first book I recommend to people looking for suggestions!

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder

Another great book is A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson. This book is very easy to get into and I found it hard to put down. It’s a mystery book about a high school student trying to solve the murder of her fellow classmate, after a boy, who she believes is innocent, is framed for it. She chooses to investigate further when she selects this case as the topic of her final project for class, but it becomes much more than that. The plot twists are shocking and unexpected and the storyline is so enticing; it would easily help anyone get back into reading. While this book is part of a series, I think it would also work as a stand-alone novel because there is a clear resolution and the second book is about a completely different mystery. If you’re looking for a suspenseful, entertaining page-turner that doesn’t require you to commit to a series, then this book is perfect for you!

The Butterfly Garden

The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison was another of my 5-star reads; however, this one is a bit tougher to get through, so if you’re not into topics relating to kidnapping, captivity, and other sensitive topics, then I wouldn’t recommend this to you. But for those who are all for the twisted and dark psycho-thriller reads, this is a great one. It’s about a man who kidnaps young girls and holds them captive in a “sanctuary,” or garden as the title suggests, and claims them as his “butterflies.” This thriller is a little different, because we find out the resolution at the beginning of the book, and have to read to find out how it ended the way it did. I was left horrified on the edge of my seat throughout most of the book, but oddly, I felt sympathy in ways I never thought I would during reading it.

The Fine Print

The Fine Print by Lauren Asher is the last 5-star book on my list so far. It is about a girl who works at a famous amusement park, similar to our modern day Disneyland, and who develops a complicated connection with the new owner/boss. This book has the popular grumpy vs. sunshine and enemies to lovers romance tropes with a fair touch of spice. Plus, it has a more positive tone compared to some of the other books I mentioned, so if you’re looking for a feel-good romance novel that is easy to read, I would definitely recommend this! 

These books deserve all the credit for reviving my love of reading. If you’re in the same boat as I was, or if you’re just simply a book lover, these are some phenomenal reads to consider!

Hannah Hagie

Illinois State '25

Hi! My name's Hannah. I attend Illinois State University as a sophomore and am majoring in Creative Writing. Writing has always been a passion of mine and I've been doing so since the second grade. A goal of mine is to be a published author one day and I hope to work towards that with my experience of writing in school, in my free time, and on Her Campus. A few of my personal interests include writing, reading, music, baking, thrifting, and shopping, so I'm sure you'll be seeing articles from me on all of those topics and more! You can find me on Instagram @hannahhagie!