A Mans Story With Molly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I know this might come as a challenge, but try to think all the way back to “roll-y” backpacks, braces and, most importantly, your 6th grade D.A.R.E. program. The mission of the D.A.R.E. program was to teach students good decision-making skills to help them lead safe and healthy lives. I remember being taught about different kind of drugs and the negative effects that they have on you both mentally and physically. The drugs we were taught about ranged from alcohol and tobacco to the more extreme drugs such as heroin, cocaine and methamphetamine. As mentioned in the brojackson.com blog, “Finding Molly: Drugs, dancing, and death”, there was one drug that I do not recall being taught about in D.A.R.E that I now hear about quite frequently: Molly. In the rise of Electric Dance Music (EDM), Molly has become more than just a drug—but a part of the overall EDM experience. It’s almost as if Molly and EDM go hand in hand “rolling” down a dark path together. 

Your lifestyle choices are your own, and I respect that. However, I came across this blog the other day and have not been able to shake it from my mind. Regardless of your stance on the issue, it is still a great read. Below I have provided a link to the blog, which is written by a man that had fallen so deep into the drug it’s amazing he resurfaced. If you get anything from this blog I hope you understand that Molly is not as innocent as “her” name.

Here are some quotes from the blog that I found interesting:
What’s Molly…
“Molly is just whatever the hell these guys want Molly to be. Pure MDMA is expensive to produce, but designer drugs like 2CI and 2CB can be mixed with a little crystal meth and viola. We have found Molly.”
How has Molly become acceptable…
“Social stigmas don’t really exist with Molly, and giving it away, or having it around doesn’t seem like a problem – because it is so highly glamorized by the music industry. There are songs about it, and “rolling” is something that is completely socially acceptable in the EDM circle.“
What happens after you find Molly…
“We live in an extremely litigious society, and few people are going to admit they took drugs with their friends, and then their friend died. You don’t want to get sued for neglect, or be accused of selling the drugs that killed your friend. That’s the dark side of Molly – when people die, everyone runs into plausible deniability land, and never returns.”

For the full story, click on this link: http://brojackson.com/long-reads/finding-molly-drugs-dancing-and-death