This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Ladies and gents, this will probably be one of the most important articles I have ever written for you. You HAVE to make time to enjoy your life!

I get it, we pay thousands of dollars to attend University and we want to spend every minute making sure we get good grades, but you cannot put your social life or the things you enjoy on hold because you need to do homework or study.

I personally am a victim of this. Recently I was speaking to a professor about how I feel like I do homework eight days out of the week. She replied, “You know there are only seven days in a week, right?” EXACTLY. We are so drowned in the fact that we have to spend every minute doing homework or studying because if we do not, we will fall behind. I really never stop doing homework or working on some type of coursework.

This past weekend, I decided that I was going to not do any homework the entire weekend so I could enjoy my time with my friends. Granted, I had things due on Sunday, so I was working all day on Sunday, but I got to see my friends that I had not seen in weeks.

If someone asks you to dinner, or to go out, or to just hang out, TAKE IT! You don’t want to look back on your college career and only be able to remember the hours of studying you did. You deserve to treat yourself to something fun whether that be doing something you love, hanging out with friends or self-care.

They say college is some of the most fun times in your young adult life, and they are only fun if you make them. Yes, grades are important, but the relationships around you are equally as important. Take the night off, go enjoy your life. We only have one life.

Jessica Hogeboom

Illinois State '22

ISU 2022 | Elementary Education Follow me on Instagram : @jesshogeboom