This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Lizzie Burgess is an outspoken, hilarious and talented social work major from Deerfield, Illinois. When she’s not working day and night to accomplish her dream of helping teens with substance abuse, she is watching the Blackhawks game or listening to Dave Matthews Band. Lizzie agreed to do a special profile for us that focuses on substance abuse and depression in college students.

Her Campus ISU: Why did want to major in social work?

Lizzie Burgess: I wanted a career where I could help people and make a difference.

HC ISU: What are you focusing on with your major?

LB: Addiction in adolescence because it’s a very vulnerable age where addiction not only impacts them but their family, friends and community. They deal with a lot of anxiety, a lot of teens resort to cutting which is an addiction in itself. Drug addiction and self-harm go hand in hand.

HC ISU: What advice do you have for friends or family dealing with a loved one who suffers from addiction or self-harm?

LB: Make them feel like they’re not alone. Stigma is a killer, so if you make them feel comfortable talking to you they will thrive. Always remind them why they’re important to you, be patient and don’t give up on them or they will give up on themselves. Don’t judge them, just listen.

HC ISU: Tell us a little bit about Stepping Stones.

LB: I volunteer at Stepping Stones through the Youth Women’s Christian Association. Their focus is empowering and supporting survivors of sexual assault, rape and domestic violence. When I volunteer I work the crisis hotline after hours. Sometimes I get hospital calls where I go in and support victims who are in the ER. I also do education and awareness events that inform the community about sexual assault, domestic violence and how to help loved ones get through tough times.

HC ISU: What’s your advice for college students suffering from depression?

LB: In college, you may feel like you are a little fish in a big pond but you have to remember that you have people who love you. Bloomington has great resources for you and getting help is a sign of strength, not weakness.

HC ISU: Where are some local resources students dealing with depression or self-harm can go to?

LB: ISU has free counseling for students so that’s always a great start. PATH and Stepping Stones are also great resources that will take the time to help you. Friendly Faces is a club of student advocates on campus who work to support survivors of sexual assault.

HC ISU: What can college kids do to prevent depression and anxiety?

LB: College is very stressful no matter what year you are. If you need a personal day, take it! Get outside, exercise, laugh with your friends because it’s harder to cry when you’re laughing. It also helps to call your mom. A lot.

HC ISU: What is your advice for anyone reading this that is struggling with depression?

LB: They call it hope for a reason: hold on pain ends. You’re stronger than you think you are.

If you would like someone to speak to about your addiction or depression, Lizzie would like you to feel free to contact her personally at lizzieburgess25@gmail.com. Thanks for all your awesome advice Lizzie!

I'm just a sorority girl who drinks way too much coffee and has a passion for clothing I cannot afford.
Contributor account for Illinois State