Lindsay’s Fashion Blog: The Leggings Epidemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

I am performing a coup de grace on this trend as it needs to go away and never ever come back. Our children are going to hate us for stepping our legs into these “tights”. At first the concept was fashionable and it can still be but some girls have overused and took advantage of this trend to the fullest. Ladies need to know that leggings are not a replacement for pants.   The concept of this style was for the shirt to be worn with a shirt worn over the leggings.

Lately it has turned into regular t-shirts that don’t even come close covering the butt and leggings that are see through and/or can see the lining of the panties. Red flag!!! Am I the only one that has a problem with this? It’s certainly distasteful and it makes me cry because I do not want to see your underwear that has words on it. Point and case when I was at the gym, I noticed a girl stretching on treadmill, she bent over and I saw her underwear, words and all from Victoria’s secret. Hello, when were leggings deemed acceptable in the gym?!? It’s not cute ladies.

Research is key! It’s all about finding the right pair of leggings, which you must consider style, texture & color.

Research then experiment. Let’s start with the style- There are many types of leggings some are cut up, sparkly, lace, etc. While many of these styles are available that doesn’t mean that everyone can wear it, just like crop tops. Depending on your style and your comfort level get the right leggings that fit your style.

Texture plays an important role in choosing leggings because it can show your underwear or hide them as well as color. When choosing leggings make sure you feel comfortable as certain leggings will attract attention. I adore those able to pull off the leather leggings, kudos because those are bold “pants”.

Color is probably one of the most critical factors on whether or not this trend can be pulled off. Bright, obnoxious, loud colors? No. Darker tones such as black, black, or even black? Yes. There are certain patterns that work really well, many such as floral or nebula and they are worn correctly. Seriously, no one wants to see your underwear when you bend over. Wear a shirt over your butt or invest in skinny jeans because they are the exact same thing. Please do not think that leggings, tights and pants are interchangeable, yes they are meant to cover you up but let’s be smart and understand that they are not universal for everyone.

I personally cannot condone this style because too many girls have ruined it. But have hope, there are a select few that make it work and with these guidelines you can have some idea as to how to buy the right pair or avoid them altogether.

Megan Maginity

Illinois State

Megan is a sophomore Journalism major at Illinois State University, with a minor in Creative Writing. She balances her time between class, her sorority- Gamma Phi Beta, and writing for the college newspaper- The Daily Vidette. When she’s not busy, Meg likes to shop for the best sales, rollerblade, hang out with friends or watch reruns of Sex and The City. Becoming a campus correspondent/editor-in-chief was a great accomplishment for her because she is an aspiring writer, hoping to take on the world of mass media after graduation in 2013.