This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

If I’m watching TV, chances are that I’m watching something on Bravo. I grew up watching The Real Housewives with my mom and nana. I watched all the iconic moments (such as Teresa Guidice flip a table in rage), and now that I’m in college, the dramatic antics of the ladies on the shows serve as the best form of entertainment. 

Even though reality television itself can be outrageous and a bit silly at times, I’ve actually learned a few life lessons from the ladies of the Real Housewives franchise. 

1. There Are Some Thing In Life That You Can’t Buy

In the wise words of Luann de Lesseps, “Money can’t buy you class.” Money can’t buy you lifelong friendships, either. All of the housewives often flaunt their riches, but with money comes power, which can lead to artificial and fake relationships. While working hard and being financially independent are great, recognizing how to make personal connections will carry you farther in life. 

1. Someone Is Always Going To Disagree With You

One of the many reasons why The Real Housewives attract so many viewers is that they are constantly getting into fights and arguing about everything under the sun. I think I’ve learned that there is always going to be someone around you that may not agree with your opinions or your actions. However, it’s how you own up to your mistakes and continue to stay true to yourself that counts. 

1. Family Means Everything

New Jersey icon Caroline Manzo said it best: “Let me tell you something about my family. We’re thick as thieves and we protect each other ‘til the end.” Keeping those relationships with close friends and family strong is something that can be difficult when faced with busy schedules and the stresses of daily life. However, having a strong support system is helpful, and it’s always nice when you know someone has your back. 

1. Addressing The Past Is Painful, But Necessary

Many housewives have shared details about their childhoods and past traumas with audiences. One such case is during the first season of The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, where Whitney Rose shares the struggles she has faced helping her father suffering from addiction. Sometimes we shy away from dealing with the hard stuff, but acknowledging our feelings is the first step towards healing and a brighter future. 

1. Honesty Is The Best Policy

The housewives are constantly screaming at each other for not being honest. While sometimes a little lie is necessary, being upfront with your friends is really what makes the relationship so much stronger. No one likes being around someone who lies all the time, and even though honesty can bring about some difficult conversations, it’s something worth maintaining. 

1. Sometimes, Things Don’t Go According To Plan

I can’t even count how many dinners, parties and other situations that have ended in complete chaos for The Real Housewives. While most of the drama on the show is extreme, it’s actually important to remember that despite your best efforts, hopes and plans, not everything in life is going to end up picture-perfect. Sometimes, it’s best to just go home and try again next time. 

And there you have it! Next time your friends bash your addiction to reality TV, you can say you’re actually learning a thing or two about life.

Caitlin Eichhorn

Illinois State '23

Caitlin is a senior at Illinois State University studying Public Relations and Spanish. She is a member of Theta Beta chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma and loves being a writer for Her Campus. When she's not studying or writing her novel, she is watching 80s films or hockey highlights.