This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Dear Friends, Allies, Companions of these past four years,

You are all about to take the next big step in your lives. Whether it’s grad school, a full-time job, moving across the country or being deployed into the military, you have another huge challenge to face after graduation. Even if you’re not sure what your future holds (because the future is scary and sometimes you don’t even want to think about it at all), this letter is for you too.

This letter is to say “thank you.” Thank you for being significant and memorable during my college experience. Whether you’ve been a part of my life for 8 months, 8 years, or even 8 weeks and we just lived it up for those 8 weeks, it’s an array of mixed emotions to see you go.

But thank you, for the endless memories. The good times, the bad times, the midweek heart to hearts, the study dates, the lunch and coffee dates, the Pub Wednesdays, Chasers Thursdays and Drifters Fridays and Saturdays. Thank you for helping me grow in who I am. Whether you realize it or not, you have made a mark on my life and impacted it greatly and I can’t thank you enough for that.

Second off, I want to just let you know how proud I am of you. As cheesy as that sounds, I can’t help but express how important your professional and personal successes are to me. It makes me excited to see where life continues to take you and the paths you create in the real world. I’ve watched you struggle through late night due dates, countless hours studying, and mental breakdowns to reach this point in your academic career. And you’ve survived. You’ve thrived. And I’m so proud of you for how far you’ve come.

I’m going to miss having you around every day and knowing you’re just a five minute walk if I ever need anything. Crazy to think that someone just down the street from you right now will be across the country from you in just a month, but there are going to be so many more opportunities open to you.

I am genuinely grateful that you were a part of my college experience and no matter what happens, I’ll always be in your corner supporting everything you do because there’s no other way I could repay you for supporting me throughout our friendships. Some of you have already graduated in the last couple weeks while some of your ceremonies are right around the corner. And I know it all feels surreal to say the least and it’s not going to hit most of you until you’re sitting in your cap and gown waiting to walk across that stage. So thank you, good luck to you, and I’m sending so much love to you all during your next encounters.

*photos by John Saltz

Davita Jo Monaghan

Illinois State

It's hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world.
Contributor account for Illinois State