This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Meet Josh Weingart, an Illinois State University senior who is passionate about providing clean water to those who don’t have it and giving back to the community. Weingart is a full time student and an entrepreneur who started his own business, WaterDrop Shop.  I recently got the chance to sit down to talk more with Josh about his business and how he got started.

HC: So Josh, tell us a little bit about WaterDrop Shop.

Josh Weingart: WaterDrop Shop is a business that I launched in September of 2012. The idea for the business came from a trip to Kenya I took after my freshman year at Illinois State in 2010. In short, WaterDrop Shop sells products with purpose. We do this through our partnership with a Kenyan manufacturer that hand makes every sandal using used tires and locally sourced sustainable materials. WaterDrop Shop then imports them and sell the sandals online and donates 10% of every sale towards clean water wells located in Northern Kenya.

HC: Wow, what an experience to travel to Kenya! How was that?

JW: While in Kenya I was blessed to work with an awesome well drilling crew. I worked side by side with local Kenyans to hand dig six wells that produce clean water for nearby communities. While there I saw the impact a single well had on a community and how having access to clean water was a huge milestone in the standard of life in the local economy.

HC: Sounds like a fantastic experience. So Josh, why the passion for water?

JW: Water is a critical part in every human’s life. We need it to live and function. We, as Americans, take for granted the ease of access to clean water. I have always loved doing things with water. I am an avid SCUBA diver, swimmer and of course, water connoisseur. I personally believe it is our God given right to have access to clean water and it’s hard to know that nearly one BILLION people in the world lack what we can walk five feet to get for free. I made the personal promise to myself that I will not stop until everyone in the world has access to clean drinking water.

HC: That’s a big goal! How can people help the cause?

Josh: I do like to dream big! People can help out by either buying a pair of sandals, which helps in more ways than one, or they can create events to raise money for clean water. My goal isn’t to sell sandals; it’s to sell products that will change lives in more ways than just a pamphlet. I honestly just want to engage people to help others, whether it is through selling a pair of sandals or creating a 5k [run] to help fund a well. I just want people to become active in changing and helping other’s livelihood.

HC: That is an awesome passion to have; it is always good to dream big! So even though WaterDrop seems to keep you busy what else are you involved in outside of the company?

JW: I am heavily involved in Encounter Campus Ministry at ISU. I am also the current President of the Collegiate Entrepreneur Organization (CEO) Club.

HC: You must be busy all the time; how do you manage to be a full time student and manage your own business?

JW: Google Calendar! I just have a really busy schedule. I have also learned to delegate my time and projects as well. My team of interns at WaterDrop Shop really helps out a lot and to be honest I do not know how I would be where I am without all of them.

HC: Aw shucks, you’re too kind! Can you tell us what makes WaterDrop Shop sandals different from other sandals?

JW: They are built from a tire, how is that not cool? The sandals are also handmade in Kenya, not some sweatshop somewhere in China.

HC: So many great things have been happening. Would you say that WaterDrop Shop has changed your life?

JW: Indeed. I would not go back and change anything.

HC: Awesome. So is there anything new and exciting happening at WaterDrop Shop?

JW: We always have something new and exciting going on. We are about to be featured in the Pantagraph and we are currently in the running for America’s Coolest College Start-up by Inc. Magazine. If you could help us out and vote* that would be awesome!

HC: What a great opportunity! Everyone should VOTE. So we like to ask all of our celebs, who is your favorite actor/actress?

Josh: I would definitely have to say Matt Damon. Why? Because he is good actor and I love his movies,  but he also took the water crisis to a whole new level with co-founding Water.org with Gary White.  Yes… I know I am obsessed with water!

*WaterDrop Shop is currently in the running until May 1 to be Inc. Magazine’s America’s Coolest College Start Up.  It only takes a second to vote and you can only cast your vote once! To vote go to: www.thewaterdropshop.com/vote

Check out WaterDrop Shop at http://www.thewaterdropshop.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheWaterDropShop

Twitter: https://twitter.com/waterdropshop

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/waterdropshop/