Is Netflix’s Sex Education Season 3 Worth the Watch?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Sex Education could easily be pinned as another teen drama series, with a rather raunchy nature. However, this show is more than that. It starts a conversation that is important to young people today.

As a college student that has gone through sex ed at school and had many conversations with my mom and friends about the subject, this show is refreshing to watch. Part of me wishes I could have watched this series in high school, as it is so open and honest when it comes to talking about sex. Of course, it’s not a textbook, but it keeps you engaged in a way that a textbook never would. It hits on so many different topics both big and small. This does a great job showcasing that no problem is too small especially for young people figuring out who they are. Even I need to be reminded of that sometimes.

This season surprised me in more ways than one. What else could they possibly cover when it comes to this subject? Well for this season, the dangers of no sex education. However, beyond that, it still pushes storylines that NEED to be pushed. One storyline that sticks out in my mind is Aimee’s, the slightly ditzy friend of Maeve Wiley. A huge part of Aimee’s storyline was that she was sexually assaulted last season. Although they wrapped up the story in a beautiful way at the end of last season, it still carried on into this season. They could have easily left it how it was from last season in the pretty bow. Instead, the show highlighted that assaults are damaging to people and can make a huge impact on someone’s life.

Beyond the hard-hitting subject matter, it has a little bit of everything. Comedy, romance and even drama. Although the show can be funny and at some points ridiculous, that’s what makes this show, in my opinion, so brilliant. It perfectly marries drama and comedy with ease. The characters are so relatable with their different quirks that it makes the storyline naturally flow even in ridiculous scenarios. And personally, I am a sucker for romance so you can’t go wrong with that. I applaud what Sex Education has done. I think they are brave to push limits like this for a teen series. I don’t think there has been anything quite like it. From non-binary characters to talking about sex for disabled people, it can teach a viewer a lot about themselves and others. Season three has gone above and beyond my expectations. If you are looking for a new show to binge-watch in the upcoming weeks, Sex Education is definitely worth your while!

Grace Pellock

Illinois State '22

Hey yall! My name is Grace Pellock, I am a junior here at Illinois State. I am a basic college girl who can't stop scrolling on TikTok, loves eating dino nuggets and watching romantic comedies. I have always enjoyed writing so I am so happy to be apart of HerCampus to share one of my passions with you.