Life > Academics

How to Push Through the Second Half of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

With the end of the semester looming, it can be very difficult to maintain the same motivation you once had. With it also getting warmer outside, people want to be outside enjoying the day, not stuck inside on their computers. However, it’s important to end the semester on a strong note, so here are some tips and tricks to push through the second half of the semester. 

Find something to look forward to

It is always easier to get through the tunnel when you know there is a light at the end of it. Having a plan with your friends or a trip to look forward to can help you get through those evenings of irritation and weariness and will hopefully push you to keep going since there is something fun at the end of it all the work. 

Find time for fun

I am a firm believer in putting yourself first. With the busy schedule of a college student, it can be hard to find time to do what makes you happy, so I make sure to take advantage of every weekend. Whether your personal time involves going out with friends or staying in to simply watch Netflix, using that time to do what brings you joy is key. It can be very exhausting to just steamroll with the semester without pausing to catch your breath. 

Don’t be too hard on yourself

Be gentle with yourself; being a student is difficult, especially as the semester progresses and assignments, papers, and exams seem to pile up. If you are not getting the best grades, practice positive self-talk because, in the grand scheme of life, grades don’t matter. You are more than the grade you got on a test, even though grades can seem far more important than what they are at times. Everyone’s situation is different; however, the moment I stopped seeking academic validation, my mental health flourished. It’s important to realize your strengths and focus on parts of your life that matter to you, and that is what I feel a lot of people fail to realize. 

Live in the moment

No matter how much we have accomplished in our lives, we are simply never satisfied and are always searching for the next step. In college, it is so easy to forget your achievements and how hard you have worked to be where you are today because you already working towards something else. I have struggled with not giving myself enough credit for how hard I have worked because it can feel like I am never doing enough. You must take life day by day to get through the rest of the semester, but you can still be proactive about your future while being content with where you are today.

As a senior, I have learned to embrace the small moments of the day because I know they are fleeting. With only two months left of being a student, I try to not complain about homework and papers because I know there will be a time in my life when I’m going to miss this part of my life. Regardless of how frightening the unknown is, I’ve learned to accept it and, rather than being frightened about it, be excited about it.

Thanks for reading, V

Hi, I'm Vanesa! I am currently a Communication major at Illinois State University. I'm so thrilled to be a part of the HerCampus team because writing has always been a huge passion for me and now I have an opportunity to showcase that and grow as a writer. Besides writing, I love horror movies, dramatic tv shows, and iced coffee. I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoy writing them so stay tuned for more! xoxo, V