This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

As a senior college student graduating in May, the topic of most conversations around me is post-grad plans and job hunting. Combined with questions of “What are your plans after college,” “Are you moving,” “Did you find a job yet,” “Are you going to take time off” and more, this time period can prove to be one of great stress, and eventually, reward.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has had their current semester filled with portfolio and resume building, job applications and interviews. And although searching for a job can be exciting as one is beginning to venture into new territories – into a new future – it’s also a difficult process. Recently, I accepted a job offer at a public relations firm I’ve always wanted to work at, and although the process was stressful, I had a mentor – someone who has been in my exact shoes – help me along the way and offer me useful advice. Hopefully, with this post, I can act as a mentor for you!

So, dear reader, here are my personal tips:

Before

FIGURE OUT POST-GRAD PLANS

First and foremost, it’s important to think of all possible choices for your post-grad plans. Maybe you want to get accepted into your dream graduate school. Maybe you wish to start your professional career right after college. Or maybe you hope to take some time off for yourself and travel. Whatever the choices may be, it’s wise to weigh out all your options and truly decide what is best for you and your future. Once you decide, you can begin to plan out your next steps.

DURING

PREPARE FOR INTERVIEWS

If you choose to start your professional career, here are some tips that helped me:

• Research the interviewer and the company and find common interests to bring up during your interview.
  • Prepare questions to ask your interviewer and have answers to potential questions they may ask you.
  • For Zoom interviews, make sure to have a clean and simple background, test your mic and speakers, check your wifi and enter the meeting early.
  • Be confident, be yourself and respond to all questions truthfully.
  • At the end of your interview, make sure to ask about the next steps in the hiring process and send a thank-you email.

DON’T MAKE THE PROCESS A COMPETITION

It’s more than common to feel in competition with your fellow classmates and friends when applying for jobs. As I said earlier, as graduation nears it feels as if the first topic to be brought up in conversation relates to post-grad plans and job hunting. For me, that feeling of competition was intense, especially with my twin sister. Although it’s hard to stay confident when those around you are landing jobs before you, it’s important to understand there are opportunities for everyone, and they all come at different times. So, remember to congratulate your friends on their achievements and remain confident that your big opportunity is right around the corner.

AFTER

STAY POSITIVE & Continue Applying

After your applications and interviews, it’s extremely important to stay positive. I applied to a variety of summer internships and jobs, some of which sent the dreadful “We regret to inform you” email. Just because you may not fit at one company in one position, does not mean you won’t fit at the next. With that being said, it’s important to continue applying – even if your heart is set on a certain position – you never know what may happen.

I hope the above helps you in your future endeavors – whatever they may be! And remember, as cliche as it may sound, when one door closes, another opens.

Elise Fricilone

Illinois State '23

Hi everyone! My name is Elise, and I am a senior at Illinois State! I am majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Sociology. I have a huge passion for not only writing, but also reading! You can find me with my nose under a book almost everyday. I also have a huge love for all things fashion, cosmetics, health and lifestyle – so you can find those topics in my articles! Feel free to follow my instagram: elisefricilone