This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois State chapter.

Starting a new hobby can be time-consuming, uncomfortable at first and frustrating. It’s challenging picking up something new, especially when you have other priorities, such as school, work or other priorities that might consume one’s time. I am writing about this, because I’ve learned that my hobbies make me appreciate so many other aspects of my life, and I want to share that with you.

Finding a hobby is not as easy as it seems. The hobbies that I have accumulated over the years somehow found their way to appear in my life, and I still wonder how I was introduced to some of my favorite hobbies. My mom is probably one of my biggest inspirations when it comes to being creative and motivated to complete tasks because when she starts a project, she rarely stops or fails to complete it.

When I think about how I started some of my hobbies, it comes back to activities that I used to be involved in. When I was in high school, I was involved in a multitude of choirs and creative programs. I enjoyed making art, whether that was singing, dancing or painting. My main hobbies now are painting, crocheting, cooking and baking. I’ve noticed that all of these activities have something to do with creativity and making something out of practically nothing. When thinking about hobbies to work toward, consider other activities you enjoy.

Thinking about which activities will be the most enjoyable for you as an individual will ultimately lead to success—if you enjoy what you’re doing or you’re motivated to achieve a certain goal, you are more likely to complete a project or activity. For example, if your goal is to make a scarf for your dad for Christmas, you will likely set that goal and try to achieve it by a certain time period.

If you’ve been trying to start a new hobby, this is your sign to finally begin that process. My hobbies have proven to be very rewarding and challenging, which has made my free time a lot more interesting. That being said, I encourage you to go out and pick up that new hobby you’ve been thinking about. Who knows, you might find something that you’ll enjoy more than you thought you would.

Jillian Groot

Illinois State '24

My name is Jillian Groot and I am a senior English education major with an Italian studies minor at Illinois State University.